Friday, February 27, 2009

much like with the snow, digging out...

So I wasn't quite as slapdash with this one. But still just a quick one (with quickie brush-pen job) to round out the week with April at school.

14 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Ah, yes! The old Smarties slogan; that takes me back a bit. The new one is "Show your colors". In any event, it's good to see April making a bit of headway in at least one area of her life. Heaven alone knows that she's got a fight on her hands in a few months if John, Jim and Iris can't talk Elly down.

john said...

Hmm, I always saved the white ones for last.

InsertMonikerHere said...

john, not sure if you're making a joke, but there are no white Smarties in Canada, except in the special Valentine's mix. (They're candy-coated chocolates, flatter than M&Ms, whose chocolate is IMHO a bit less over-sugared than those.)

Anonymous said...

Keep an eye on the bunsen burner. snerk Love it. I totally enjoyed this week's strips. Feel free to get buried in work anytime if this is what comes of it. ;)

Unknown said...

IMH - In the United States, Smarties are a flat little tart disk that does have white ones in them. That's what John's referring to. I've had both and I prefer the Canadian version!

InsertMonikerHere said...

Megs, yup, we call those things "Rockets" north of 49.

I'd make (lame) jokes with American friends about the superiority of Canadian Smarties when I moved down for grad school. I mean, what's not to like about a country where Smarties come in *chocolate*? :)

Anna said...

What, what, smarties aren't chocolate in the U.S.?

What is the point of living down there! ;)

What I love most about this strip is that it shows that life goes on outside of the strip - the bunsen burner comment, for example - without expecting us to just sort it without there being any mention of it. (Perhaps I'm not explaining that very well.)

Scritzy said...

US Smarties = Dextrose Nightmares

That's what I call them, anyway. And I love the white and yellow ones.

You can get five-pound bags of them at Sam's Club.

*now craving Smarties*

Unknown said...

Okay...maybe I am being a lame brain here...

But why is April happier over getting a B than an A+??

*confused*

John F Jamele said...

me too- I didn't get any of this, at all :>(

Anonymous said...

She's happier about getting a B from a difficult teacher than she has been about getting A+s in easier classes.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Yup, that would pretty much be it. Some of the pre-vet classes are *much* harder than her high school and university options.

Unknown said...

OH!!! See, I thought she was saying that she was happier with a B than an A+ from THIS professor. Thank you for explaining that.

John F Jamele said...

I think what confused me is that there are two separate conversations going on at the same time- Smarties, Pudding Cake and April's grades all in the same few panels overtaxed my lame head :>(.