Love Tracey! She looks like the Bizarro-World version of the alcoholic sad sack in Emily Flake's Lulu Eightball! http://www.citypaper.com/archives/browse.asp?columntitle=Lulu+Eightball (she always appears in the last panel)
Love Gordon relating Anthony's loneliness to the Pattersons. Where is Anthony's own family for goodness sake?
I also appreciate that Anthony's weirdness is related to Francie being gone. As much as I loathe Anthony, I like to believe he truly loves and cares for his daughter, and she's going to grow up okay.
Where were they ever in the strip? We got Paul meeting the Pattersons for dinner, we got Mike meeting Dee's folks before they were engaged, but Anthony's were never more than mentioned. They don't seem much in touch with Anthony, do they?
They weren't even shown arriving at the wedding. (Heh. If I put them in, I get to completely design their appearances.)
Oh, dear. It seems to me that Tracey has finally started to twig to Anthony's major malfunction: he's looking for a surrogate to the family he doesn't really have. She may never really like Therese but at least now she sees why she was angry; that's something. AS for Gord trying to provide the man some sort of family, he'd do better to see why it is that Big Daddy Caine and the Missus are no-shows. If Anthony were to resolve his issues with them, he'd be a lot less clingy and wangsty.
Anthony seriously needs to join a bowling league or something. Didn't he have friends as a teenager, and he didn't want to spend all his time with Liz because of that? I know that was retconned to a weird obsession with Liz in the bio, but if he could have friends then, maybe he can make friends now too.
I hope Anthony is still in therapy. But of course he'd have to see what the problem was before he could work on it, and I'm not so sure he does yet.
clio-1, I remember too that he had a group of friends in high school! I suppose they all moved away, and he doesn't have much chance to meet new people where he works, since they probably don't have a huge staff. Gord was older than him growing up--he didn't even hang around with him, as he was part of an older group. Anthony needs to get some kind of an interest in something so he get out to meetings or something and meet people. Also with other interests he'd be less obsessive about Liz.
Although if he's still so needy and insecure about his abilities, he might scare people away, as they wouldn't want to spend all the time propping him up and building up his ego. But if he got interested in something, he could talk about that with his new friends, at least at first, and maybe if he got good at whatever it was it would build up his confidence.
I know his family growing up was retconned by Lynn to be dysfunctional, but at his age sometimes people have friends they can spend time with even if they don't get along with or see much of their parents.
I love what you did with Gord and Tracey! That's just how they'd look. They always seemed way older than their age, at least compared to Michael and the others, and they always dressed older. I guess that's where Anthony must've picked up his "style".
IMH--I know! It drives me crazy that Anthony is such a major player in the strip, yet we've seen zip about his family. I mean, the bio had his mom as a super-model, his dad as the most powerful businessman in Milborough, and you couldn't even argue with it since there was so little in the strip about them.
And: It has always struck me as rather suspicious that his family, while occasionally (rarely) alluded to (mom was supposedly watching Francoise at least once and all that), apparently tends to keep him at a distance.
What is perhaps going ON there? What about his dysfunctional family has made him into the weird obsessive pathetic stalker-of-Liz that he became?
Lynn Johnston leaves so many intriguing lines of potential storytelling open here....
9 comments:
I love how you captured Tracey's whole "Big Love" Juniper Creek look, heh. *G*
Love Tracey! She looks like the Bizarro-World version of the alcoholic sad sack in Emily Flake's Lulu Eightball!
http://www.citypaper.com/archives/browse.asp?columntitle=Lulu+Eightball
(she always appears in the last panel)
Love Gordon relating Anthony's loneliness to the Pattersons. Where is Anthony's own family for goodness sake?
I also appreciate that Anthony's weirdness is related to Francie being gone. As much as I loathe Anthony, I like to believe he truly loves and cares for his daughter, and she's going to grow up okay.
Where is Anthony's own family for goodness sake?
Where were they ever in the strip? We got Paul meeting the Pattersons for dinner, we got Mike meeting Dee's folks before they were engaged, but Anthony's were never more than mentioned. They don't seem much in touch with Anthony, do they?
They weren't even shown arriving at the wedding. (Heh. If I put them in, I get to completely design their appearances.)
Oh, dear. It seems to me that Tracey has finally started to twig to Anthony's major malfunction: he's looking for a surrogate to the family he doesn't really have. She may never really like Therese but at least now she sees why she was angry; that's something. AS for Gord trying to provide the man some sort of family, he'd do better to see why it is that Big Daddy Caine and the Missus are no-shows. If Anthony were to resolve his issues with them, he'd be a lot less clingy and wangsty.
Anthony seriously needs to join a bowling league or something. Didn't he have friends as a teenager, and he didn't want to spend all his time with Liz because of that? I know that was retconned to a weird obsession with Liz in the bio, but if he could have friends then, maybe he can make friends now too.
I hope Anthony is still in therapy. But of course he'd have to see what the problem was before he could work on it, and I'm not so sure he does yet.
clio-1, I remember too that he had a group of friends in high school! I suppose they all moved away, and he doesn't have much chance to meet new people where he works, since they probably don't have a huge staff. Gord was older than him growing up--he didn't even hang around with him, as he was part of an older group. Anthony needs to get some kind of an interest in something so he get out to meetings or something and meet people. Also with other interests he'd be less obsessive about Liz.
Although if he's still so needy and insecure about his abilities, he might scare people away, as they wouldn't want to spend all the time propping him up and building up his ego.
But if he got interested in something, he could talk about that with his new friends, at least at first, and maybe if he got good at whatever it was it would build up his confidence.
I know his family growing up was retconned by Lynn to be dysfunctional, but at his age sometimes people have friends they can spend time with even if they don't get along with or see much of their parents.
I love what you did with Gord and Tracey! That's just how they'd look. They always seemed way older than their age, at least compared to Michael and the others, and they always dressed older. I guess that's where Anthony must've picked up his "style".
IMH--I know! It drives me crazy that Anthony is such a major player in the strip, yet we've seen zip about his family. I mean, the bio had his mom as a super-model, his dad as the most powerful businessman in Milborough, and you couldn't even argue with it since there was so little in the strip about them.
Anthony seriously needs a come-uppance.
And: It has always struck me as rather suspicious that his family, while occasionally (rarely) alluded to (mom was supposedly watching Francoise at least once and all that), apparently tends to keep him at a distance.
What is perhaps going ON there? What about his dysfunctional family has made him into the weird obsessive pathetic stalker-of-Liz that he became?
Lynn Johnston leaves so many intriguing lines of potential storytelling open here....
Please let us see Anthony at the Mayes's for dinner, driving them insane with his pathetic obsessions. Please!
Post a Comment