Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
9 comments:
Ah, yes. Francoise doesn't know what they call kindergarten in Quebec, does she? If they were speaking French, she probably did something fairly common and plopped an English word in the middle of the sentence. As for Therese, she's clearly trying to be a bit of a better parent but it ain't easy for her. Let's just see how the Anus behaves now that he can't count on John to have his back any longer.
I was going for the words they were actually speaking, so Therese, while dropping "cherie" and "papa" in, is speaking English. We didn't see lil' Fran being taught any French, but I think that should be changing now that Therese is taking on more parental responsibility.
If I were to have them speaking French, I'd probably asterisk the word balloons with the footnote *in the French tongue (a Comics Curmudgeon joke).
Ah. That clears it up; I wonder how good Anus's French is. If I were to guess, he'd need to buy the product offered in this fake ad.
(Hint: The French words all mean "Sorry, I don't speak French.")
You draw Françoise so pretty, it just breaks my heart.
Could someone with more acquaintance with FOOB tell me if Therese was seriously intended to be a burn on Québécois, or whether that was just a coincidence of Lynn's attempts to say HEY GUYS REMEMBER I'M FROM CANADA? I'm hoping for the former, so I can continue to imagine her stumbling onto this and getting majorly pissed.
Pain au Chocolate for breakfast? Can you say "here's a bribe, now shut up and eat?"
Godozo, "pain au chocolat" is a perfectly fine breakfast pastry (croissant dough wrapped around a stick of chocolate, if anyone hasn't had the pleasure of trying one) - no worse than Pop Tarts, Cocoa Krispies, or Nutella on Wonderbread for breakfast.
Yeah, bribe-like, but hardly out of line for breakfast. And I'm sure Therese is smart enough to make sure some of the changes in coming to Montreal are good ones. :-)
yummy...I use to get those at a local pastry shop when I was in collage for breakfast. They were absolutely divine and tasted so much better than a pop tart or some other quicky pastry breakfast.
Too bad they don't do Pretzel Rolls there. I use to have those in Germany for breakfast. :D Pastries are a perfectly good way to start a morning!
BTW...I love this view of Therese and her being a mommy. I think she is off to a good start!
John
Could someone with more acquaintance with FOOB tell me if Therese was seriously intended to be a burn on Québécois, or whether that was just a coincidence of Lynn's attempts to say HEY GUYS REMEMBER I'M FROM CANADA?
I don't think there was any specific intention that Thérèse should represent all French-Canadians, and I am not certain it was made clear whether she was from Quebec, Ontario or elsewhere. I think the intention was just to make her as different from Liz as possible, so she was brunette to Liz's blandness (typo intentional), sophisticated to Liz's limited worldview, worked in a non-traditional role for females, didn't see being a wife and mother as the ultimate goal of life, and, I suppose, French to Liz's English.
In fact, despite the FOOBs living in Ontario, there's no suggestion that they even studied French at school, much less learned all those basic phrases most Canadian kids have learned from an early age, like "no sugar added" and other things written on cereal boxes.
Post a Comment