Wouldn't a wedding denouement with the real consequences of the insane planning have been great?Merrie and Francoise in tears over the ugly dresses, attendants carrying landscaping remnants of wilted bedding pansies and trimmed leaves, the inexpertly-altered dress falling apart in the middle of the vows...
11 comments:
Yes, I'd have loved to have seen those consequences.
Yeah, that sewing school idea was so off-the-wall. It amazes me how so many writers of fiction (which LJ was, with her real-time concept) simply don't think through their story-lines, yet they get away with it!
I have to comment on the sewing school. It could work if it were a quilting school. Many quilt shops and sewing-machine dealerships teach quilting classes. There are also quilt guilds that sometimes meet in members' homes. One can learn many new techniques in the guild meetings.
I guess it's obvious that I'm a quilter, eh? ;)
But a generalized sewing school is pretty 20th-century. And early 20th century at that.
(Sorry for the reposts; I didn't proof thoroughly enough before I posted.)
Ah, yes. Seeing how the Settlepocalypse would have played out in real life would have been fun; it's less fun that Dee realizes that her daydream has been made obsolete by the Internet, though. Ah, well; as soon as her domestic situation improves (by the simple act of jettisoning 180 pounds of whining dumbass author from her life), she'll stop thinking about it.
Scritzy, there's also the specialty shop +classes concept, which could work. I've seen yarn stores with extensive class schedules.
Buuut the "small sewing school" in the home sounds like a pre-WWI widow trying to make ends meet.
PS, I've also taken care of the "comment removed" lines.
There's a fairly hip sewing supplies store in my town that does offer sewing classes. I've taken a couple from them. But there is no way that they could stay in business just with those classes; they are a small addendum to help build brand loyalty and sell more things. Plus, the classes were fairly inexpensive (presumably subsidized by the store itself) and one of them was taught by a volunteer. If they were realistically priced (including the cost of instructor, equipment, etc), it would be out of the price range of most hobby sewers.
Thanks, InsertMonikerHere. I hadn't had my Coke before I sent my typo-filled posts. ;)
I love this--one favorite detail is the smug trying-on-the dress look on Liz. That really bugged whenever LJ drew Liz in any of the half million times she tried on that NotMarian dress.
AprilPatterson, I went back and looked at old strips to get the posey feel of those "whee! let's show off the dress!" dress fittings :)
Man, watching a grounded, real-world look at the events of the Foobocalypse is quite enlightening. Within the confines of the comic, each individual strip and plot point just seems kind of strange and a little creepy; it's not until you step back and look at the whole that you see how monumentally insane the whole thing was.
I'm loving this. Keep up the good work!
Like April Patterson, I love the drawing of Liz standing all funky and smug while Dee's sewing her into a dress. Liz looks just like she did in the official comic, which highlights how weird it was.
This *totally* needed to be done. Good thing Deanna knows a sane person someplace!
Post a Comment