One thing about drawing in the dialogue instead of computer-editing it in... I realized I should have called it an "episode of Passive-Aggressive Family Theater".BTW, this bit is on par for "musts" with Elly going delusional the day before. I wasn't sure how many explosions there would be, initially was just going to have Meredith avoid Elly rather than harangue her, toyed with having April really have that imagined-while-cooling-off argument with Elly (but she's not seven, and she got over "going off" when she came back home after running away) ... but Anthony on the invite list, with no warning to Liz was always in the cards.
17 comments:
Paradise John isn't all that quick on the uptake, is he? Having him invite the guy who's pretty much the travel agent for Elly's trips to Retcon City is a lot like watching an old cartoon from the forties that had the idiot character saying "G-A-S-O-L-I-N-E! Water!" before pouring it on a fire. Way to be useless, Train Man; you just derailed any attempt you might have made to be sympathetic.
Anthony's pretty cute!
Cedar, I've usually seen Anthony as gawky, but not unattractive. It's his personality that's the problem, and in my experience, that's not strongly correlated with external appearance.
... and DC2, I never said ParadiseJohn was incredibly insightful. I hinted at this back at Dr. Walby's when he was disappointed that Liz didn't marry the 'such a nice guy' Anthony.
It also doesn't say much for Anthony's perceptiveness that he would show up at his ex-fiancee's family gathering, whether he knows about Elly's drama or not.
Ooh, this is getting so good. Looking forward (as always) to the next installment. :)
It's wierd to see Anthony as cute. I guess it's that way with a lot of guys before they open their mouths. :)
IMH/CDS--Your Anthony looks the way I think LJ wanted Anthony to look--sweet, young, earnest, and geeky. Unfortunately, LJ made him look middle-aged, hang-dog, and slumpy.
I have to back up the Muse: it would take a bigger pair than Grandthony has to show up at your ex's Christmas get-together, no matter what your ex-prospective-father-in-law thought or said. You'd have to be an industrial-grade clueless git. Which the Pornstache may yet be. We'll have to see...
Ahhh...but notice the 'stach is gone.
Gotta wonder how things are going to go now. Personally, I was kinda hoping that Liz would open the door on him and say something like "Hi, Bye" then close the door on his face.
But I think she is probably too nice for that.
John is such a clueless idiot in both strips! I can't believe I genuinely got angry over this, but I guess that means you're doing good in your rehabilitation of these characters.
Oh, and Cedar's right--you draw Anthony cuter than LJ did. (Which doesn't help him much, but still.)
Here's what I see is sad about Anthony showing up tonight: Doesn't he have family to visitg? At least I had the excuse of needing to work many holidays.
Another thought: Did Anthony expect Liz to be there? Doesn't look like it to me.
Some fathers like best the guys their daughters like least. If the boyfriend/husband is just sort of there, able to do carpentry work and accounting, but unable to spark passion in the daughter, then the daughter can always be daddy's girl on some level -- this limp dishrag's no competition, but he sure is useful around the house!
I feel like a terrible daddy but it just NOW occurred to me - so where the hell is Francie? Could the Expornstache have parked her with a sitter so he could go - to a FAMILY get-together - alone to mack on his ex? Could he be SO slimy?
Could it be that Blandthony isn't the Wonderful Dad nd Prospective Husband Material the Patterson elders made him out to be?
If the boyfriend/husband is just sort of there, able to do carpentry work and accounting, but unable to spark passion in the daughter, then the daughter can always be daddy's girl on some level -- this limp dishrag's no competition, but he sure is useful around the house!
In the real world, fathers who think like this talk like John did in the strip so at least Lynn got something right. Whether she planned it that way is a mystery, though.
FDChief: John in the comic states that Anthony doesn't get to see his daughter till tomorrow, so that makes me think that the XWife (forgot her name) has the daughter.
morga_rose is right - Francoise is with her mother Therese for Christmas Eve; Anthony gets her for Christmas Day.
I'm giving Anthony a bit of benefit of the doubt, at least until I read the next few updates. It's possible that he might have assumed that if John was inviting him to the party, then Liz had been informed - heck, considering that the Boy in Beige is hoping he can get back together with Liz, I don't find it unlikely that he'd be hoping that Liz had actually given the idea her stamp of approval.
Post a Comment