Tuesday, December 2, 2008

24 Dec 2009: Poor Wilf


So why do I keep making poor Wilf try to keep things from boiling over? Back in the apartment days, he was the only one of the older generation to do so. Deanna got upset with her mom at least once, and Wilf told Mira to cut it out at least once. Given where I've been going with Deanna's situation, that leaves just him.

There's a second part to this scene which I should get photographed and up tomorrow.

10 comments:

Cedar said...

I'm curious about this repeated questioning of Mike not working daytime hours, as it doesn't seem that unusual of a request. Most of the businesses Mike would freelance with would likely only have daytime hours, and not insist he come in at after 5. I'm wondering if this is going to lead to something else, some reason other than his work why Mike works such strange hours.

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Like I said, Mira is like a well-meaning rhinoceros; she's trying to help but she doesn't always know when to step off. Thank good she has Wilf there to keep her in check. That's because he's not so busy trying to help that he can't see how punch-drunk Deanna is. That's not to say that Mira doesn't have a good question. Why does Mike keep such insane hours? Finding out why should get her to help John in his quest to unwedge his son's head from his ass.

CrackerLilo said...

Well, good for Wilf! It's not like anyone else in the older generation can do anything to keep things calm. (Jim might have, but he's incapacitated.) I also wonder why Mike doesn't work daytime hours, and if not, why he wouldn't, you know, fix lunch and pick a few things up sometimes.

You do a great job capturing facial expressions! Poor Deanna looks utterly exhausted and about ready for her own breakdown. But I like that your Mira is well-intentioned but misguided, rather than the nasty mother-in-law Johnston created.

Unknown said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job with this. My thoughts though, is if Mike is constantly having to leave for meetings, and never seems to do anything for his family, is he having a little someone else on the side? To me, it is starting to sound more and more like there is an unknown woman in the picture.

Mana G said...

Oh, my God! He's having an affair with Martha!
Actually, I have no idea whether he really is or not...I think Mike kind of uses his "odd hours" as an excuse to avoid really participating in his family's life and taking advantage of Deanna's tendencies to be the enabler in the relationship.

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Mana G,

I think Mike kind of uses his "odd hours" as an excuse to avoid really participating in his family's life and taking advantage of Deanna's tendencies to be the enabler in the relationship.

That's what's happening, all right. I wonder if that's one of the things John will call him on when he finally tells him to unwedge his head from his rectum.

Teresa Rothaar said...

My husband is a freelance writer who works from home.

He sets his OWN hours. Writers don't clock in hours. They complete projects. Sometimes my husband gets up very early in the morning and writes. Sometimes he does it in the afternoon or at night. It's up to him.

I don't see any reason why Mike can't watch the kids during the day and work after his wife gets home.

Anonymous said...

Theresa:
I'll bet your husband tells you about his projects as well. I wonder if Mike keeps Deanna updated on his projects.

Morga Rose:
Or HIM? Remember, Mike's relationship with Weed did seem rather...shall I say, more than friendly. I would argue against the idea, but it's a popular thought.

Anonymous said...

Another thought:

I'll bet Michael writes better later at night. I've found that writing is easier at night; although when I'm REALLY inspired it don't matter what time of day it is.

FDChief said...

Another terrific entry in the series. I'd swear that at this point your draftspersonship is better than the newruns. I have to second CL re: your capturing Dee's utter exhaustion in the last panel. She looks ready for some tranqs and a week in a dark room.

And I work all day, have several interests and hobbies, AND blog a LOT, but I either get up before dawn or blog after the kids go to bed. Any "writer" who claims to be so slammed that they can't help with the housework or the kids seems to me to be blowing smoke. I didn't buy it in Lynn's original version, and here some of the other family finally show signs of being equally suspicious. Personally, I think he just surfs the net all day looking for internet porn girls with dark Italianate looks, a la Rhetta...