Well, Mira isn't all sweetness and light, but we knew that.A few things:
- That "Eva" had to come from somewhere
- Yes, I know that both flower girl dresses had teal bodices & lavender skirts. But the Yahoo colouring gnomes apparently didn't, so at least one of the dailies had the colours swapped. And since all that ended up only being in Elly's mind, which was confused, hey, maybe they did initially want "complementary" L+T and T+L. Possibly the only thing that could have made it any more hideous, so I'm going with it.
- Mira and Wilf really have had the short end of the stick on Christmases. It annoys me greatly that young April in 2002 complained that the Sobinskis "got" all the holidays. Let's review the bidding:
- 2000: Elly has "everyone at home" just after the secret marriage
- 2001: Mike & Dee split up where they are for different parts of Christmas Day based upon (in-strip) Elly wanting to have them for dinner
- 2002: Christmas Eve and morning are at Mira & Wilf's (not stated whose preference). Same arrangement as the previous year, yet April complains. Ah, well. She still had some maturing to do to understand tradeoffs.
- Not that her family gave her the experience to understand them, however, because in 2003, Elly hosted a big dinner "for 14", and the listed folks leave 3 spots - possibly Mira & Wilf had to come if they were going to see Mike & Dee. In 2004, Mira & Wilf came to Elly's. In 2005, Christmas Day had Meredith with Elly, and no sign of Mira and Wilf at all. 2006 was post-fire at Elly's, and in 2007, Deanna hosted, so her parents came along with the Pattersons.
- And wouldn't it be nice if Deanna got that "after marriage, you'll become roommates" attitude only from her much-admired mother-in-law?
8 comments:
"And wouldn't it be nice if Deanna got that "after marriage, you'll become roommates" attitude only from her much-admired mother-in-law?"
Well, I would say that it would HAVE to come from MIL. If I remember correctly, Dee seems to try at times to bring Mike to bed, but Mike always has an excuse not to come >.<
It would drive me crazy if my marriage was like that. I would definantly think something was wrong there.
But for some reason, Dee seems to think that is normal....*shakes her head* Only normal with MIKE!
morga_rose, well, I know it comes from Elly, I was hoping (and since it was established, deciding) that it wasn't *also* from her parents' marriage.
I like how she put 'nicer' in quotes. She can feel sorry for Elly's plight while still resenting the shabby way she was treated but someone who isn't at all nice despite her belief otherwise. As for the Sobinski's "A spouse is more than simply a roommate" philosophy, not only is it healthier than Elly's non-stop frigidity, it also helps explain their lack of concern over the collapse of the Settlepocalypse. Not only is Anthony whiny, he wouldn't know an erogenous zone if one came up and bit him.
... annnd I meant "since it WASN'T established, deciding" above :)
Mira, you naughty girl, you. I wouldn't put it past you to have some special Christmas scanties. After all - you are the "bad" wife, mother and grandma!
Given that the Patterson take on sex appears to be "well...OK, if I have to" and offspring is "constant nuisance and occasional disaster" you'd expect that they would try to avoid the near occasion of reproduction whenever possible. So I'm hardly surprised that Liz's sexual history has been such a blank punctuated by bizarre and self-flagellating choices and Mike seems to have fled from any chance that his wife might surprise him or demand anything from him in any way, emotional or sexual - I mean, Foob forbid that he ends up with a spunky Martha or a smouldering Rhetta (or at least as spunky/smoundering as a Lynn-created female character can get...).
It'd be sad if it wasn't so funny.
Aw, man, you're starting to make me like Mira! But now we see why Wilf stays with her!
It really hit me all of a sudden how unhealthy an attitude the Pattersons all seem to have toward sex, too.
In one of the Foob-mocking fics I've written, Elly gives a bride-to-be a flannel nightgown that's high-necked and ankle length. The groom to be looks at it, asks if it was a gag gift, and when he's assured it wasn't, wonders how loaded John had to get to have sex with a woman who gives granny gowns to a BTB. snerk I should mention the theme of the bridal shower was 'make starting a family fun' since the couple already have everything you'd need to set up housekeeping.
CrackerLilo--
I've always found it disturbing that the only character who, in-strip, has had premarital sex was not Dee, Liz, Elly, or any adult character, but 14 year old Becky.
Post a Comment