Thursday, December 4, 2008

24 Dec 2009: pause for a breather

I really ought to have put a narration box: With further conversation pointless, Mira offered some help with the potatoes and Wilf retreated

or: After venting, Deanna calmly went back to work on dinner while her parents retreated

Ever since I ended the initial Foob's Paradise un-wedding arc, I've mostly thought of vignettes of what would happen next - not a continuous flow of a story. So I don't think I'm giving a smooth, continuous flow of the Christmas Eve From Heck story here. Maybe some narration boxes would help.

As for Grandpa Jim, a little looking into aphasia indicates that there are many levels of verbal and written-word impairment. There can be major difficulties with both, or just one, and I expect the therapists would have worked hard to give Jim as many ways of communicating as possible. It's not unrealistic that he could write some things.

10 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

When Wilf said that Michael was part of what went wrong in his daughter's life, he was low-balling it. I'd say that the Delicate Genius and his selfish bullshit deserves the pig's share of the blame for her transformation into a basket case. Good on Jim for getting straight to the point.

InsertMonikerHere said...

dc2 I doubt Wilf would want to agree too heartily about Jim's grandson being the problem :-)

Verbal low-ball, but we know what he thinks.

Cartophiliac said...

Sorry... I don't get it. I cannot make out what Jim wrote on his tablet... something about Michael, obviously...

InsertMonikerHere said...

It's:

M / E n t i t l d

(M. : Entitled )

which I drew with my non-dominant hand. I didn't think it was too hard to make out, and "M" for Mike would be obvious

Mana G said...

I honestly thought it said "M/ Entitled," as in "Micheal's too stuck in his feelings of entitled-ness," which I think describes Mike pretty well.

Hehe. The word verification is "prick." Well said, blogger.com! Jim and Wilf would agree!

April Patterson said...

I love it, InsertMonikerHere. Jim's note goes right to the heart of the problem. :)

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Yes. Mike is fairly spoiled and it is affecting his family. It's too bad that Deanna is too busy making excuses for him to see him for what he is. That means that eventually she'll be as upset with John as she is with Mira.

Norah said...

I love what you're doing with these! So much more realistic than the original FOOB. Also, you probably learned more about aphasia than Lynn did, since she seemed to depict Jim part of the time as someone with Alzheimer's.

howard said...

You could always bring back the picture book Jim had at one time, or maybe show what happened to the original picture book.

Anonymous said...

Remember, folks: It takes two to tango. Michael may feel he's entitled (or, more to the point, that there's only so much reality he dares deal with as a writer), but Deanne is going out of her way to have Michael feeling entitled. And she'll have to act in order to stop things, not him (as he won't, as long as things are going as they are).