Friday, January 2, 2009

We're Ba-aack...

So the sketchbook took a holiday, and got a couple of gifts. As in non-photo blue pencils and a thin liner pen. There were some experiments, one of which came out OK:
So this would be included as part of 25 December 2009. I should start Boxing Day tomorrow or Monday (yes, Liz' "people to meet" will be interesting, but not as drawn-out as the Christmas Eve arc).

I may or may not be able to do penwork regularly. One of the non-photo blues is waxy and hard to work with, so I effectively have to draw with the pen. The other draws more like a regular pencil, but isn't quite as non-photo in the results. Plus my liners are frustratingly unreliable - the lines feather - some of that stuff up there was overdrawn with a second pass of the pen, and the couch's outline is of unreliable thickness. In all, it's like drawing twice over... so there may be plenty of pencil-only episodes. But dang, the B&W contrast in the photo comes out nicely.

6 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Ah, well. At least they've weathered this storm; John can take some comfort in that. His realization that Anthony is a goober is something that'll have to be handled later but for now everything is peaceful.

Unknown said...

John had a difficult Christmas. His wife had a breakdown, and he came to the painful realization that the man he hand picked for his daughter to marry and the man he raised are both inconsiderate jerks.

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Melanie_L,

That's right; now he has to figure out what to do about all three problems. He can stick to medical instructions most of the time so Elly's concerns are the easiest burden to deal with. What to do about Anthony and Mike is the hard part; he knows that Anthony is too frakking dumb not to know when he's not wanted and he can't relate to Mike on a meaningful level.

To get a bit off topic, the verification word I have is 'drown'; I hope that isn't what John has in mind for those two gits.

Anonymous said...

DC2:

You're right about Elly. Elly seems to be aware herself about her not-quite-rightness, so that will help right there.

Lamethony may be more of a problem, but it looks like John now has active allies in April and Liz. Especially Liz, whom I'm thinking was thinking Lamethony would just disappear into the ether once the marriage didn't go through.

Michael...his problems are deeper than one person can solve. Deanna will probably face the dreamer's lover conundrum (will the dream come true, and can I handle life until/without it?) before Michael wakes up to his own shortcomings.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK! I missed your comics greatly and it is wonderful to see them back. I cannot wait to see what happens with Liz when she meets her friends again :D

April Patterson said...

I've got a non-repro blue pencil that, I was disappointed to discover, is no so non-repro after all, so I know what you mean IMH. In any event, it's good to have you back. :)