Thursday, January 22, 2009

End of Dec 2009

Shortly thereafter...

8 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

I hope the booze was out of their system by then too. If Therese was liquored up enough to suggest something that a Patterson would find tasteless, I'd kind of be worried what form her 'help' would take myself.

Mana G said...

Actually, I think Liz was referring to Therese's reaction to Julia's suggestion, but who knows? I imagine Therese would certainly be the kind of woman to recommend something inappropriate, at least in jest.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Dang, I thought I was being more clear that Therese was telling Julia that the plaque was Not A Good Idea, and that the comparing internet tips was later, so Julia at least didn't take offense.

Anonymous said...

Ooops.... Ah, well. I should have twigged to that; as sauced as she was, Therese wouldn't have chosen something like that. This, as they say, could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Jana C.H. said...

I got what was going on, but the transition between the first two panels was a bit awkward. "Well, Therese..." led me to expect to hear Therese's idea for a present. I must have mis-read "well" as "while" and automatically made a parallel with Liz's first sentence: "So Julia wanted... While Therese wanted..." Maybe using "Well, Therese said..." as the lead-in to the second panel would have cut off the parallel. Or maybe not. It's amazing how subtle a task it can be to write four little panels, to be read in thirty seconds.

I love the way this conversation is going. I don't agree with the writer from yesterday who said Liz was refusing to deal with her problems (or words to that effect) by changing the subject. Under the circumstances it would have been rude for Liz to continue on about all the ins and outs of her various crises in a light social situation. There will be more conversations, after all.

Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith Floss Forbes: If you don’t know the tune, sing tenor.

Norah said...

I agree with Jana C.H. about Liz's changing the subject. It was the first time she brought this topic up with Paul since their breakup, so putting pressure on him to answer right then would be rude, especially since he probably isn't really sure how he feels yet. Of course they should revisit this later, but what was said was OK for now and handled surprisingly well for a Patterson! I think Liz is slowly learning!

John F Jamele said...

It's kind of strange because while it would be rude for Liz to go on and on about her own problems, it would also be completely in character for her to do so. Then again, its completely in character for Liz to suddenly interrupt with "do we have to be so serious?" followed by silence. Pattersons are always either spilling their guts or demanding a change of subject and lapsing into silence. I think you are getting Liz's character down perfectly here.

That all being said, I hope Paul ends this by letting her know he's not available. I don't mind the idea of second chances, but not for Liz and Paul. Sorry, Liz, but you walked away. Time to pay the piper.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind the idea of second chances, but not for Liz and Paul.

I know where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be interesting to see them slowly work through the steps required for it to happen?

...or maybe I'm just that fascinated by a real, quirky, relatable relationship among the Foobs. Hard to tell, really.