Friday, January 16, 2009

26 Dec 2009: may I just say arrgh

No, not about the story, about my liner pens. Blobs of ink out the side - wipe them, try using them. Kaput. &*^^%. The last panel was painful to get some use out of one pen.

Brush pens aren't steady enough and the main local craft store only stocks the liner pen brand that just went bad on me (and only down to size 0.01, not 0.005, but I digress). There's one more craft store to try, but I have a busy weekend ahead of me, so I may be back to pencils for a while. Or "pencils-plus": in panel 2, I used a non-photo blue to get the picture blocked out, then went heavy on a regular pencil, then used a light gray brush-pen (where the unsteady thickness isn't as much of an issue as a black one). It's better contrast than the pencils only, but I was getting used to the pens' job.

12 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Again, Therese has some pretty good advice. He might not have an answer and Liz should prepare herself for that possibility but a gift is always a good idea. Julia's wanting to make sure that he actually likes it is equally good as is her suggestion that they wash away more memories of Anthiny.

hoppytoad79 said...

Therese is very wise. Liz is going to have a large serving of humble pie to eat with a big side of crow.

Sorry about the cruddy pens. I hope you can get what you need this weekend. If not, I'm sure readers will 'survive' your using pencil until you can get the pens.

InsertMonikerHere said...

DC2, ht79 I figure Therese has actually learned something from her bad relationship(s). I did, after all, start this whole shebang with her wanting to warn Liz about Anthony's passive-aggressive "communication" style.

FDChief said...

Personally, I think Julia has the right attitude.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Well, even ignoring the Anthony angle, Boxing Day sales would be a lot more tolerable with a few rounds of drinks first...

Scritzy said...

First time posting here. I just wanted to commend you on the fine job you're doing. I stopped reading FBOFW years ago — I think April was about 13 at the time. But I caught up on all the awfulness of the final year through some friends and watched the horror unfold. It was upsetting to see something I once found humorous turn into a lumbering monster due, in my opinion, to the bitterness of its creator that her life did not turn out to be perfect.

You've brought it back around to the reality that no one's life is perfect, but taking the bad with the good is just the way we roll.

Bravo.

Muse of Ire said...

I'm continuing to enjoy your story and will follow it with pleasure in whatever medium you use.

You make me regret that we never really got to know Julia in the canonical strip. She's fun!

Destroyer of Worlds said...

Hmm, I use micron pens for my inking. The pack I have comes in sizes .005, .01, .02, .03, .05, and .08. They work pretty good on top of pencil work and the only problem I've had is that the .005 is starting to go dry.

As for Liz and Paul, I think that if Liz wants a new relationship with him, she'll have to apologize for how the last one went down in flames, and be prepared that the friendship may not survive the asking if he says no, since I think this is the second time Liz has tried to go in this direction?

But yes, Liz has to dump the passive-aggressive approach for sure. I am rooting for them to get back together! :D

Anonymous said...

I think the pens look great, despite technical difficulties.

Have you ever thought about coloring some of your strips? I am considering doing some coloring in the future in photoshop, but I think your stuff is probably more suited to it than mine. It'd be fun to see if the mood ever strikes you.

Anonymous said...

The passive-aggressive junk is such a turn-off, in man or woman. It's also totally the opposite of how Paul acts. I don't really see him wanting to deal with Liz any longer, after what she pulled. I think Warren fits her flightiness better, if she MUST date, and Liz really has been the type to "need" a man, any man, for a very long time now.

Are we going to get any flashbacks that explain how the heck Therese ended up with Anthony? :) That's such a mystery.

April Patterson said...

Ooh, I know just what you mean about the brush pens. I was using a brush pen when I started FOOBAR but needed to switch to something more solid.

I'm loving Thérèse and Julia. :)

InsertMonikerHere said...

DoW, clio-1, Paul wasn't completely forthright when their old relationship fell apart, but he's definitely more direct than Elizabeth "Fate" Patterson. They both have apologies to make, which they started on back when April ran away. (There was also a second part)

I'm not much of a "flashbacks" storyteller, so I don't know if I'll ever have anything to tell about how the Anthony/ Therese disaster began.

PBJ, I haven't really thought about trying colour. At this point, far too time-consuming.