Saturday, January 3, 2009

Boxing Day Traditions (26 Dec 2009)

Maybe not quite the friends people were expecting Liz to meet:(Yup, panel 2 is my usual level of pencils, which I kept that way for comparison. The next few strips [ETA: M-W-F] have results from various games I played with different pens.)

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been enjoying your parody/continuation of FBOFW immensely. However; this meeting of AA is my favorite so far. Thanks!!

john said...

Oh man, it's good to see Therese again. Poor woman.

McBangle said...

Loving this! I'm so glad to see Liz bonding with Therese, my hero.

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Well, this is a good thing to see. Not only have Liz, Therese and Julia bonded over their disgust with Awfulny, John will have someone close by for moral support when he too wants to complain about the clueless choad. He doesn't have to go through that particular trouble alone.

blueyed wench said...

Hehe. AA. Love it! Do they get little tokens for every 30 days without Anthony?

The biggest thing about FBOFW that seriously pissed me off was the "reason" Anthony and Therese didn't work out. Heaven forbid a woman wants to work somewhere other than a kitchen.

blueyed wench said...

BTW, am loving the inks/new drawing method. Very crisp.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Julia's joke is, indeed, intended to model AA (and Liz joins in).

As for Therese, remember, I only require the in-strip stuff to be real. And by in-strip, I mean shown. When something is recounted, all bets are off. If more than one version has been told, I can pick either or "none of the above".

I already selected (in the original arc) that Anthony reneged on his promises to be supportive of Therese's fast-track career.

I also had Dawn observe that he might have been so insensitive to her post-partum depression and motherhood anxieties as to border on downright emotionally manipulative. I thought this dovetailed nicely with Liz recounting to Candace how A+T failed - it sounded like a distorted version from Anthony's POV. In reality, it wasn't just because her career made her Teh Evil

Jana C.H. said...

I love the three different drinks in the first panel. Suburban/backcountry Liz drinks beer; elegant, urban, Francophone Therese drinks wine; and short, dumpy, realistic Julia drinks hard liquor. She knows the score.

Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith JcH: I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

Anonymous said...

Loving the new art style...and the new arc!

How did Liz and Therese meet? Through Dawn?

InsertMonikerHere said...

Well, Liz and Therese met during Anthony's engagement - and they did not get along. Now they understand each other. I haven't pinned it down, but the most reasonable re-acquaintance would be via Dawn, who cannot seem to choose a coffeeshop in downtown Ottawa where she won't run into Therese on one of her business trips :-)

InsertMonikerHere said...

Jana Julia's may be rye 'n diet. I _was_ going for the small glasses they use for a shot + mixer.

Marissa said...

This looks just gorgeous. I eat your strips up -- please keep them going!

CrackerLilo said...

That is so cool--I love the idea of Anthony's exes bonding! Hell, I love the idea of Elizabeth acting like, well, a woman I might know!

Welcome back and happy new year!

Destroyer of Worlds said...

YAY!!! Welcome back! I was going through some serious withdrawal from your comic over the last two weeks! I'm loving the new style, by the way! I was inspired by you and the other foe-comickers to make my own, which is here, http://thefifthpanel.blogspot.com/

There's not much up yet, but I'm hoping to get faster and better. :)

I've been secretly hoping for a sequence like this, where Liz and Therese gets together and compares notes. I did play around with doing one, only with canon!Liz, the one who married Anthony and had James Allen, drowning her sorrows with Therese after waking up to the cold hard facts. Definitely not as happy as your strip, though.

April Patterson said...

I love the impromptu support group--and the inking, too. :)

Cedar said...

Considering the way the whole "I have no home!" incident happened when Francie was just a few months ago, when Therese was presumably suffering from PPD, I think it's fair to say Anthony was completely insensitive to her needs during that time.

At first, I thought it was out of character for prissy, boring Liz to be drinking beer, but it's actually totally in character. She always drank beer when she was in college, and afterwards in strips like this one
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/001313.php

I could see strip-Liz, in her desperate attempts to be grown-up, drinking wine, but I prefer to think that personal-growth Liz realizing she doesn't have to be ashamed of who she used to be, and still liking beer.

InsertMonikerHere said...

You got it, cedar. I gave Liz a beer because she liked it in the past.

FDChief said...

Good fun. Hope the girls get good and sloshed and enjoy making fun of the Expornstache's bedroom ineptitude.

"Yeah, and there was the time HE asked ME if it was in yet..!"

"No, no! I caught HIM faking an orgasm so he could roll over and go to sleep...!"