I'm back to vignettes instead of a more continuous story... so the Liz/Paul situation will have to wait on a Hawk Creek vignette as followup.And seeing Connie in the reruns has apparently made me draw her hair more like her old style.
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
6 comments:
Oh, crap. This, as Bart Simpson would say, ain't not good. At least Elly is aware of why she's broken; that'll help her mend quicker. And, hey, she's got a lot of people in her corner; that'll speed it along too. Maybe someday she'll be free of her worries.
I think it's telling that Elly says not, "Elizabeth didn't" but "Elizabeth wouldn't," as in, "she wouldn't go along with my script for her life." Can it be she's on the verge of realizing her responsibility regarding the situation?
Oh. Oh my.
Other notes: really nice to see people being affectionate with one another; that's one thing the actual strip had been missing for years. Connie resembles Jim, which means you captures her very well.
"Can it be she's on the verge of realizing her responsibility regarding her situation?"
More likely, realizing that what really happened is what happened and that she can't change it. Massive impotency and disappointment follows.
In two days the characters here have shown more personality and compassion than the Foobs did in twenty years.
You never have to be worried about being sued by Lynn Johnston for use of her characters, because except for appearance and names, these people show no resemblance to the Foobs. They appear to have thoughts and feelings typical of human life forms, something the Pattersons could never pull off.
In response to John's comment - I think what FB captures best is the spirit of the early to mid golden era of the strip, when the characters were legitimately interesting and (dare I say it?) complex... I have one of the anniversary books and (10th I think? It's the one that has a long forward where LJ talks about her childhood and early career) I still enjoy reading it (I know, my punk cred for a lifetime just went out the window). These strips remind me of those characters: the ones that disappeared from the real FBOFW a long time ago. I would probably say in the Mike-early-adulthood era but YMMV.
Post a Comment