I imagine that off these "newspaper-level" panels, Therese and Liz have compared a lot of notes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
8 comments:
That's right; Anthony just has not moved on from high school. That must be why he's still working for Gordon. I guess sooner or later John will grudgingly come to the same conclusion Liz, Therese and Julia have. It's not going to be easy for him to judge the man so harshly but life is full of nasty little chores like that.
That has to be an enormously irritating combination for the Anthonettes - his blandly overwhelming assumption that they will want exactly what he wants and be exactly what he wants them to be, coupled with his utter incomprehension and ignorance of that it is that they want, need, and like despite their repeated insistence.
It would be like having a timorous tyrant for a partner. You'd almost prefer an out-an-out bastard or a shrinking little weasel. It's his confident cluelessness that makes him such a walking disaster...
"...WHAT it is that they want, need..."
Oops.
I do have to wonder what it is Blandthony was "asking" Therese to give up that she finally yelled at him over. Wine, perhaps? Or maybe dancing?
phoenixtoashes said...
I do have to wonder what it is Blandthony was "asking" Therese to give up that she finally yelled at him over. Wine, perhaps? Or maybe dancing?
####
Okay, I am confused by that. I understood today's comic to read that Blandthony was constantly asking for approval, and that she had to finally yell at him to stop asking for approval. I would guess over the kisses, just because that is what they were talking about earlier in the comic.
Off Topic: WOOT! My Word Verification is beer!
morga_rose, that was more or less what I was getting at obliquely. Anthony could do some things Therese liked a lot, but could never act as if he'd learned that she did like them.
With Julia only having had 4 dates - and keeping things "newspaper-level" - I brought up kissing, but it could have been other things. I imagine Therese screaming in the bedroom "for the ninetieth time, _yes_, I like that! If I ever stop liking it, _then_ I'll let you know! Now would you stop ruining the mood?!"
I initially wondered whether John would really still continue to be Anthony's cheerleader, but I think that cluelessness fits in with his greater character pretty well. The girls here have just learned this lesson the hard way. The Pattersons are generally a clueless bunch (except April) but I think Liz has the ability to learn.
I agree with FDChief-- and I love the term "timorous tyrant."
Has anyone here read the book What The Dead Know by Laura Lippman? I was suddenly picturing Anthony as the character Dave--smug yet desperate for approval at the same time, lecturing others even in bed.
Post a Comment