Thursday, December 11, 2008

24 Dec 2009: A bit later

[narration] Since talking with Anthony had never done any good, and it wasn't her party, Elizabeth could only really ask to be left alone. [/narration]

16 comments:

human said...

Oh no, poor Elizabeth.

So now I guess Anthony steps in to 'help'...

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Oh, boy. This is shaping up to be another lousy Christmas for her. I'm guessing that after this, she's not going to spend too many more holidays in Milboring.

Mana G said...

Milborough is no longer "home" for her, then?

InsertMonikerHere said...

human, since Anthony is "giving her her space", he won't have overheard, so let's just hope Robin doesn't tattle.

Mana_G - looks like she's getting there, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

WOOT!! I think Mana G has hit the nail on the head. And if it is true, then that is the best thing for Liz. Too bad Paul isn't in the picture. She needs to find herself a nice hunk who matches her well :)

Jana C.H. said...

"She needs to find herself a nice hunk who matches her well."

No, she doesn't. But you know that or you wouldn't have added the emoticon.

She needs to spend a few years on her own. Has she ever gone for any length of time without a man somewhere in her life? That's a genuine question. I don't remember. It wouldn't hurt her to find out that a hunk-less life is a viable one. One can still have fun totally escort-free.

Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith Ursula LeGuin: There are no right answers to wrong questions.

Echo said...

"Home" to Mtigwhatzit? Yay! I hate suburbia and love the country (and the city), so I'll be happy if Liz moves back there.

I hope she doesn't get back together with Paul. I think Liz needs to realize that she doesn't need a man to be a complete person, and that defining herself by her romantic relationships has really messed up her life so far.

InsertMonikerHere said...

echo, Jana C. H. ... Liz has now managed to survive almost one and a half years without a boyfriend. I think she's at least started to figure that out.

Cedar said...

Nice use of the emotionally loaded (in the foobiverse) word "home." It's still very much in character for Liz to want to be "home."

Paul knew where "home" was
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/001832.php

Unknown said...

Jana CH: Actually, no, I was not being silly. I happen to like the idea of her finding a good man. Doesn't have to be serious relationship with WEDDING at the end, but it would be nice for her to have SOME sort of relationship, to help her realize that she can have a GOOD AND HEALTHY relationship! As Insert pointed out, she has been a long time without a man. I think it is time that she found out that it is possible to have a healthy relationship.

If I had been being silly and sarcastic about what I was saying, I would have ended it with a :P or a *sarcasm*

Echo said...

One and a half years without a relationship is not a long time, especially when so much of that time was taken up with thinking about a former relationship. I have yet to see Liz be actually independent.

It's not possible to have a healthy relationship unless you're completely healthy on your own, and I don't see Liz as there yet. If she were, she'd be actually saying things rather than thought-bubbling them, and not just to her little nephew.

Jana C.H. said...

Morga Rose: I didn't think you were being sarcastic. I just throught we were to take the word "need" with a bit of a smile. It's nice to have a hunky man who is well suited to you, but no one needs it.

I also don't think a year and a half without a relationship is a long time, but that's just what my own life has been like. People who spend most of their time in relationships think it's long, and those who spend most of their time single think it isn't. But I was thinking of Liz's life in the original strip, not her life in Foob's Paradise.

Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith George Eliot: I’m not denying the women are foolish: God almighty made ’em to match the men.

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, good! Even in LJ's strip, Elizabeth seemed so much happier and more vibrantly herself in the frozen north.

I so related to that "spiking my rum with eggnog" line!

By the way, my word verification is "uninker." I think it fits here.

Anonymous said...

I still hope that a mature Liz will find her heart's home in Paul. But that will be a while out as she's still growing up.

Echo said...

I actually always kind of liked Warren for Liz. He's adventurous and fun. Johnston seemed to fault him for not being ready to "settle down" into bland suburban paste at the age of what, 25? Or even before then, at 22 or so. I like to imagine them having a decades-long "friendship" with no strings attached, and then marrying at about, oh, 50, and "settling down" in Australia or something.

I think Australia came to mind because of that terrible Warren bio in which every other word out of the Australian guy's mouth was "bloke" or "sheila" or "barbie". That was epic.

Anonymous said...

"Spike my rum with eggnog" love the line!

Was hoping Anthony would have gotten over Liz by now...one would think that a canceled engagement by itself would mean "good-bye and bleep off" in and by itself.

Don't see Anthony stepping in to help...too much of a wimp; and besides he's hoping she'll chat to HIM.