Friday, June 5, 2009

Getting Started

I rather like the "blog post" framing for overviews of April's travels, but I may switch to drawing in the words instead of making text windows in the image processing - it adds an extra few steps.

4 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Today's strip was fairly interesting; it made me feel that I was actually there instead of simply watching a travelogue like when Lynn was talking about Mtigwaki.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Thanks, DC2. I remember that some of the Liz in Mtig stuff (even durign the Elly-visit) was nice - going to pick blueberries [ignore the muppet-face reaction to the bear spoor joke], for instance. I found the pow-wow sequence to be beautiful, but the text was a bit - not sure - overwrought? wrenching to find meaning? I'm trying to go more for "here's interesting stuff" than a 'documentary' view with a Lessons To Learn about the developing world.

Cedar said...

I actually liked the pow-wow sequence--it was respectful of the culture it portrayed, and it seemed like one the last times LJ really put effort into the artwork. My big problem was the way every strip had to end on a joke, and the way it revolved around Elly. I would have preferred to see it from the POV of Liz, either as a viewer, or maybe writing an e-mail to her family about. It just seemed a little cheap to have someone with zero investment in the community acting all solemn and serious over this event that she never brought up again.

InsertMonikerHere said...

I think maybe you've hit on why the pow-wow seemed a little overwrought-is- probably-the-wrong
-word to me, Cedar. Elly was being a bit too solemn / serious considering how much she knew about the place and people, so that didn't quite seem right. And I agree that the "gag" ends of most of those strips just didn't match.