What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Back to the Foobery
Well, I've now had my chance to confirm once again that newborns are cute - and cuter in person than their photos. Also continued to cement my "weird aunt" rep by explaining to the toddler that a cartoon's floataway picnic basket was an exaggeration of Archimedes' principle to the point of misrepresentation.
I feel John's pain here; he wants to make Elly see that, despite her belief otherwise, the world isn't all crumbling to bits around her. Even if he does partway succeed, he's got a bigger problem: the Noble Scribe. He knows how stubborn his son is, how entrenched his defenses are, how little they have in common; that means he knows that any discussion would devolve into Mike screaming about being persceuted.
Elly is in therapy. It will take her a while to let go of her obsessions and get back to reality, but there will be progress. Perhaps small progress, but progress.(Says the voice of experience.)
Mike, on the other hand, needs a chop in the klops, and John's going to have to man up, spine up and give it to him.
I think John's just pretty scared of discussing anything that's actually important with Mike. Partly, because he's afraid Mike will react badly, but also because he has no idea how to talk to Mike about important things, in general. (Didn't Elly get all the "big" tslks with Mike, when he was younger? I thought I remembered that she did...)
I think someone mentioned over on Foobiverse that John was the one to try and give Mike the sex talk, but wasn't terribly successful at it and was gobsmacked when he realized that Mike already knew more than he did (or seemed to).
Apart from that, I think both parents avoided giving any kind of "talks" to the kids if they could. Both of these support your theory that he doesn't know how to go about having such an important talk with Mike.
4 comments:
I feel John's pain here; he wants to make Elly see that, despite her belief otherwise, the world isn't all crumbling to bits around her. Even if he does partway succeed, he's got a bigger problem: the Noble Scribe. He knows how stubborn his son is, how entrenched his defenses are, how little they have in common; that means he knows that any discussion would devolve into Mike screaming about being persceuted.
Elly is in therapy. It will take her a while to let go of her obsessions and get back to reality, but there will be progress. Perhaps small progress, but progress.(Says the voice of experience.)
Mike, on the other hand, needs a chop in the klops, and John's going to have to man up, spine up and give it to him.
I think John's just pretty scared of discussing anything that's actually important with Mike. Partly, because he's afraid Mike will react badly, but also because he has no idea how to talk to Mike about important things, in general. (Didn't Elly get all the "big" tslks with Mike, when he was younger? I thought I remembered that she did...)
I think someone mentioned over on Foobiverse that John was the one to try and give Mike the sex talk, but wasn't terribly successful at it and was gobsmacked when he realized that Mike already knew more than he did (or seemed to).
Apart from that, I think both parents avoided giving any kind of "talks" to the kids if they could.
Both of these support your theory that he doesn't know how to go about having such an important talk with Mike.
Post a Comment