Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
6 comments:
I just read through all the archives and I wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this! Your artwork is really expressive. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Ah, yes.... You've got to the root of John's difficulty -- the distinct problem he has with discussing negative phenomena. He doesn't like talking to his parents any more than he does Mike because it makes him uncomfortable.
I think if John can get his head out of his boxcars, he might have a little insight into Elly's problem. She's in denial that life didn't go as she wanted. And he's swimming in Denial River himself, though perhaps for different reasons. If he only knew ...
I believe he hopes it's just going to go away — he'll wake up one morning, and everything will be right again. However, for that to happen, Elizabeth would have to marry Anthony and produce James Alan in nine months and one day.
To be fair, DC2, Scritzy, John's discomfort discussing negative things is a pretty common character trait. And, as I understand it, true for a lot of men who want a solution to a problem rather than to talk about a problem. We'll see whether that winds up causing trouble.
And, as I understand it, true for a lot of men who want a solution to a problem rather than to talk about a problem.
IMH: It's also true for a lot of women, I'd say Elly included — if her therapy sessions are any indication.
Scritzy, sure - Elly definitely has trouble talking about her real problems. Dr. Walby's summer 2008 sessions showed that in spades.
But as far as I can tell, men are more encouraged to fix stuff or ignore feelings while women are more encouraged to talk about their feelings. I think that the "don't want to talk about it" trait is more prevalent among men.
In any case, John has never been shown to be very chatty about how he feels, so I wasn't going to start writing him that way :)
Post a Comment