I just can't seem to stop sniping about the FOOB storytelling*, what with "Mike learns to care about his interview subjects" being forgotten at least twice, never mind the increasingly detached parenting.* = not that that's a bad thing.
No, this isn't turning into some PSA about depression - but I did put in off-panel that Wilf has known people with it, so it seems a pretty natural worry, given how Dee acts.
10 comments:
Ha ha ha. You should have used "stewing" as some kind of wordplay with the slow cooker :-)
I am really liking Mira Sobinski. Love the way she's drawn and her realistic attitude. She's the GOOD mom.
JMP ... oh, dear, that *is* a good idea.
But then I'd be turning to the Dark Side, wouldn't I?
I like how this is going; the Sobinskis might not know the cause but they know that, for some reason, their daughter and son-in-law have started to close in on themselves. Even if it's not depression, something has affected their marriage for the worse. Something, perhaps, like the impostor syndrome. It could be that, deep down, Mike feels that he doesn't really deserve whatever success he's earned and it's messing up his life.
Definitely a difference between being depressed and fed up, says the voice of experience.
Frustration (with "fed up" as the end product) can lead to depression, though, if the sense of being "trapped" becomes too much to bear. I hope that it doesn't go that far for Deanna.
I also thought the "stewing" was a pun. LOL! Don't worry about turning to the Dark Side. Your writing has much more depth, emotion and (dare I say it) PASSION than what went before. Even in the FBOFW glory days, in my opinion.
I know you wouldn't seriously do the Dark Side/pun thing :-)
Great, now I'm *thinking* about it...
FOOB would've taken 3 or 4 panels to lead up to "Well, I got her to buy a slow cooker." "Now she can be stewing something else" (muppet laugh)
Yuck. Just can't write that :-)
IMK: But then I'd be turning to the Dark Side, wouldn't I?
Only if you start forcing it.
DC2: Or maybe the lack of recent success. With the second book tanking and the third book constantly stillborn (didn't he just restart it again?), I'm sure his struggles to get money into the household is getting to him.
godozo,
That's true; Mike's lack of success in the field he thinks he should be in are getting him down. Since he can't or won't actually tell people what's really bothering him, he's shutting himself off from the help he needs.
I couldn't agree more about Mike learning and forgetting compassion for his writing subjects. Nothing ever seems to stick. Kelpfroths, much?
Post a Comment