I only realized a pancakes comment would fit just before I started drawing :-)
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
14 comments:
Well, it's a start but Dee has a damned lot of work to get the Noble Scribe up to code; it amazes me how dependent he's allowed himself to become. He should by rights be ashamed of himself for getting that lazy and worthless. (BTW, would I be dropping a spoiler if I were to hint that he'd get no sympathy from John?)
The only answer to Mike's question, "Will it be any good?" is "Depends how long it takes you to learn, dear."
Hm. I wonder if this will actually work.
As a CrockPot afficionado, I can tell you, no - not all meals are going to be 5 Stars...
But it's easy, cheap, and depending on what you make, reasonably healthy.
And on the nights I come home late, dinner is ready. Which is good in so many ways.
My tips to Mike - chipotles in adobo sauce - use them often. Avoid making too many things with Cream of Mushroom Soup - that gets old quickly.
The pancakes line was classic!
Perhaps Mike's next column can be entitled "Adventures in Crock-Pot Cooking."
Ha, the pancakes comment is perfect...when I was a kid and my mom couldn't cook, my dad tended to do the breakfast for dinner thing. he would make pancakes or his world famous french toast....yummm! i want some even now!
Mike has NO excuse if he can't haul his butt down to make pancakes for his kids, the easiest thing ever to make, aside from sandwiches of any kind.
This is terrific! It's just a start, but a good start nonetheless.
I love my Crock-Pot. The food can come out really good (if not gourmet), but it takes some tweaking. Chili usually comes out awesome, and that's stupid-easy for anyone besides a Patterson male.
Can't wait to see where this goes.
Oh, and I love Muse of Ire's rebuttal!
You know, that's another thing that gets more astonishing the further down the line I look back on it from. Seriously, why couldn't he ever be the one doing any of the work? I know, I know, he's the Delicate Genius and Lynn's martyr complex has to make anything domestic into a much bigger deal than it is...
...but here I sit, kicking back and doing what I feel like doing, while the casserole that took me all of ten minutes' labor to prepare cools on the countertop, after I spent a grand total of another ten minutes taking out the garbage this evening. Helping out in even the smallest capacity is NOT. THAT. HARD.
Oh, and of course I forgot the other reason: Lynn projects these tribulations onto the non-Patterson wimminfolk because if girls in her day had to suffer, today's horrid little ingrates should damn well have to be miserable, too. Silly me.
john,
Like I said upthread, Mike should be ashamed of himself for being so weak and lazy; not, of course, that Lynn would ever have a male character express real remorse for being selfish and stupid. It's the flipside of the endless suffering the Foob women do, you see; just as they have no choice but to work and work and work, men are fated to exploit them and smile a dead-eyed, guilt-free smile.
Haha! Mike's concerned about the food being good, as if he has any taste after being raised on Cheapie Weenie casserole, plain beans, and god know what other whitebread, suburban food.
greaseburgers, tuna casserole, beanie wienies, mac 'n cheese (ducking copyright issues :)...
Well, there were some roasts, and they were seen peeling vegetables, but...
Let's just say that despite a little bit of international travel, I didn't think it was a stretch for Mike to not be familiar / happy with Thai satay at Christmas.
Let's just say that despite a little bit of international travel, I didn't think it was a stretch for Mike to not be familiar / happy with Thai satay at Christmas.
I picture Mike as one of those tourists who seeks out restaurants which serve exactly what he'd eat at home, no matter where he is in the world.
Besides the WAY interesting directions you are taking these characters (not to mention giving them dimension and growth!), I love how your art style is evolving. :D
Post a Comment