Monday, March 30, 2009

Springtime for Foobville

So I have a lot of little 'skipping through spring' bits I'll be rolling through...
Yes, it's not easy to draw a hand around a phone, or a phone to scale. My excuse is that I don't do this for a living ... :-)

6 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

It's not much of a surprise that April wants to devote her time off to her studies; not only is she in a competitive field, she's not going to find Milborough especially restful. Not only does she have Elly's questionable stability to contend with, there's the X factor that is Mike. She might know what to expect from Elly but her big brother is a dangerous and entitled unknown.

Scritzy said...

Good for April. If I had that family, I'd stay at school, too.

I love the "Mom's 'interested' in my trip, hmmm, how long will THAT last?" aspect. Because I'd wager that Elly will insist on a come-to-Jesus meeting with April before that trip becomes a reality.

Good think April has her grandparents to back her up.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Scritzy, April's what? 19? You get your own passport at 16 IIRC. April has the funds for the trip. Short of some ultimatum like "go on this trip and your education fund is cut off", Elly doesn't really have the power to stop it. And Elly doesn't have unilateral control of the family finances.

Now, emotional blackmail is something April _will_ have to watch out for.

DreadedCandiru2 said...

InsertMonikerHere,

Short of some ultimatum like "go on this trip and your education fund is cut off", Elly doesn't really have the power to stop it. And Elly doesn't have unilateral control of the family finances.

Those are facts that Iris and Jim will be glad to point out; they did so 'last' Christmas and will do so again. That will, of course, reduce John to the little guy on sitcoms who points and says "Yeah" when another character throws down an ultimatum but it's probably a role he's used to.

Now, emotional blackmail is something April will have to watch out for.

And, I should think, something she expects; she probably doesn't expect it to come in stereo, though. Mike's refusal to see what's wrong and why might make things worse for her, too.

Scritzy said...

IMH: Emotional blackmail is what I had in mind. Elly having a big stinkin' temper tantrum. A "fake" regression would be possible, too, as in her mind she might think, "Oh, April WOULDN'T DARE leave me when I'm having an episode!"

I don't know if Elly's mind is sharp enough right now to do such a thing, but I could see it happening.

I admit that my perception is colored by a highly overprotective and invasive mother who went through the roof when I wanted to *gasp!* go shopping with my friends in another city — one hundred miles away. I was 19 at the time, too.

Unfortunately, I didn't have supportive grandparents. I didn't have any supportive relatives, now that I think about it. ;)

April Patterson said...

Yes, it's not easy to draw a hand around a phone, or a phone to scale.

Heh--yup, I know exactly what you mean. I often rely on Google images for this type of thing, but one time I needed to draw a character holding a phone and just couldn't find the right image for what I wanted--so I got my husband to pose for me. :)