Wednesday, March 11, 2009

And now for another parent-child pair

No, I don't know what I was thinking about Deanna's dress design. Except that I'd put in that there was draping, and I think I merged that with the prairie-dress style on the old Who's Who page.

8 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

There's another thing that nobody needs: a smug do-nothing husband who refuses to admit he's in the wrong. To put it bluntly, Mike doesn't need a woman's touch --- he needs a damned good clout to the head. Perhaps after Mira's reminder that Dee's vows don't really require her to put up with Mike's shit, Deanna will listen this time. If that happens, John's load will be lightened. He finds it hard enough to talk about the mess with Elly without having to worry about a son he can't relate to and a failed candidate for son-in-law who isn't what he appeared to be.

ae said...

The dress kinda reminds me of the Carol Burnett/Scarlett O'Hara "Curtains" dress.

I mean that in the nicest way!

Scritzy said...

Dee has a light-bulb moment!

Which could mean one of three things:

(A) She'll be despondent realizing that she doesn't have an "out" and will have to be a stressed-out mom and pharmacy tech for the rest of her life;

or

(B) She'll find something else she's really good at and wants to do but won't be able to chase that dream because of a husband who could write the syllabus for Egocentric 101;

or

(C) She'll kick Mike the heck out of Dodge and find a way to be a good mother and her own woman. Then if she gets married again, she'll be in a much better position to insist that marriage should be an equal partnership.

Just my two and a half cents' worth. :)

Anonymous said...

At the very least, it seems to me that Deena's putting her priorities in order and figuring out what she wants to do. Whether she still wishes to support Michael (and it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't) is another question.

john said...

That "sewing school" thing gets stupider every time I think about it.

Erika said...

Since Dee apparently has the ability to completely remake an antique dress, not to mention creating a dress for her mother from scratch, perhaps she's in a better position to start a business of creating custom clothing. I know of some people in my community who have made a go of that, although usually in conjunction with owning a vintage or second-hand clothing store, but it seems much more plausible than a sewing school. It's also something she could do on the side as an additional source of income. (Of course, she'd need a supportive/co-equal spouse to help make that happen, which she unfortunately doesn't have at the moment.)

April Patterson said...

Oh, my--what a dress!

Scritzy, Deanna is supposedly a pharmacist--not a pharmacy tech. She's also supposed to be the manager of her pharmacy. (Though the "manager" part may only have existed in the monthly letters.)

InsertMonikerHere said...

AprilP,I never saw the "manager" part, so I'm pretty sure it was only in the non-canon letters.

Anyhow, it *is* quite the dress... I've think I've been browsing the SPQR Blues webcomic archives a bit much, along with the Who'sWho prairie dress.

Maybe she's distorting it in her memory, because Nora liked it :-)