Tuesday, November 25, 2008

24 Dec 2009: Gather Them In (II)


... and given that it's about to be Turkey Day south of the 49th, it's doubtful that I will get anything else up this week.

11 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Oh, good; it's Jim and Iris instead of The Man In Beige. That's a temporary respite from the catastrophe that's looming in the near future. I just hope this shouldn't have been called "The Calm before the Storm."

Anodyne said...

Hmm. Since Iris and Jim seem to be pretty well aware of Elly's break-down, does this mean that the Pattersons spent all of yesterday phoning people and letting them know what happened, so that they can avoid the risk of someone setting Elly off again?

If so...when The Man In Beige inevitably sets Elly off...well that's going to be another strike against him: feeding her fantasies and setting her off is one thing - deliberately setting her off is another thing entirely, and is actually far worse; if he's been warned, he can't plead out on "but I didn't know!" (Although I'm sure he'd try to weasel out with an "I didn't know it was that bad," the bastard.)

InsertMonikerHere said...

anodyne John certainly went and called Mira & Wilf, as well as Jim & Iris, as shown on Nov 14

We'll see later whether he called anyone else and/or how the information gets beyond the family.

Anonymous said...

Anodyne:

That's assuming that anyone notified The Bland One. And that that person WASN'T Elly (who may have called in her more insane moments) giving The Bland One a notice on what was happening where.

And assuming The Bland One hasn't yet gotten a life and picked up a clue. Always that possibility (however unlikely).

Cedar said...

Hey, nice to see Jim has a walker in addition to the wheelchair.

Who is The Man in Beige? Anthony? Why would he be at the occasion? Who would have invited him, and wouldn't it make more sense for him to have dinner with his family?

CrackerLilo said...

Jim's smiling, turning his head, and using a walker sometimes--rehabilitation's working for him, yes? I love how the kids are so thrilled to see their great-grandfather.

InsertMonikerHere said...

crackerLilo Jim didn't have that extra heart attack in summer 2008, and the assisted living facility has been good for him & Iris. I extrapolated from his ability to stand up when April visited at the end of FOOB (now 1.5 years in the past) that he might be doing a bit better under those circumstances.

He does still have some pretty serious aphasia, as evidenced by his need for card-game-specific word boards. I wrote that in the Sept 1 transition because he'd had aphasia for so long that it didn't look like much improvement would happen.

CrackerLilo said...

Ah, thank you. Just another reason why I really like your version better!

Anonymous said...

By the way...

handi-transit?

Why would the kids call him that?

DreadedCandiru2 said...

godozo,

They're talking about the bus that dropped Jim and Iris off, I'd say.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Yes, DreadedCandiru2 is right; it's one of the names used by specialized shuttle services for the disabled. They saw the bus pull up.

Actually, it's the exact name for Winnipeg's service, transplanted to Milborough, because I don't know what name Toronto, much less its fictional satellite community, uses :-)

Now, hopefully I will get another one out tomorrow.