
Like I said, it's going to be a looooong Christmas Eve.No, I don't know why I've been so prolific this week (except that Meredith's expressions were fun). Not sure how often I'll get this many drawn.
What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
9 comments:
godozo certainly seems to have called it; Mira does seem to think that with Elly incapacitated, she has to step in and help make Deanna's life easier. The problem seems to be that she really doesn't seem to know what the needs of the Pattersons Redux are or how she's perceived. For instance, she never seems to have twigged to how, well, overwhelming a presence she is. It's like knowing a well-meaning rhinoceros. You know her intentions are good but still fear the damage she'll cause. This loooooooooooooong, loooooooooooooooong Christmas isn't going to do a thing to improve Meredith's perception of the Holidays, is it?
I think it's best, dc2, if she learns that holidays are a pool of heartbreak and misery, where all your relatives stop talking to each other and you never get the dynamite or undead monkey you really wanted.
OMG...not just overwhelming, but presumptuous. No wonder Deanna tried modeling her life on Elly.
It wouldn't surprise me if Mira would fit in daily mass into their schedule if she could get away with it.
godozo,
I know. It's as if Mira doesn't know where she leaves off and the world begins. She does have good intentions but her lack of respect for personal boundaries and the needs of others turns them into the pavingstones on the road to Hades.
OMG... Mira is my friend's mom. Except my friend's mom just rearranged the kitchen and bought things to be more efficient and helpful, instead of suggesting it...
What I find most interesting here, though, is that Mike's meetings are at "odd hours" - which suggests that either Mike is even more of an ass than we think he is right now, or that his publishers are supremely weird.
Well that and, despite allegedly having a great salary, Dee is trying to avoid even considering the idea of anything that'd help with the "dinner is never even started before I get home" - a freezer chest would let her at least plan out stuff that the kids could help with, or stuff that she could make quickly - or beat Mike over the head with until he starts helping.
Money woes she doesn't want to tell mom about, or just that the idea is coming from Mira?
Anodyne,
Money woes she doesn't want to tell mom about, or just that the idea is coming from Mira?
I'd say that it was a mixture of both things. Mike's career doesn't really seem to be taking off so they're kind of not doing as well as she'd like to pretend and she's always wanted to avoid having Mira run her life for her. Her mother means well, to be sure, but she just can't stop and let people be.
I'm also curious about that "odd hours" line. I don't think Mira's being ridiculous--it seems supremely logical that these people could schedule their meetings between 9 and 5 (or 8 and 2:30, or whatever). As someone who's done freelancing working before, I've found it impossible to schedule stuff outside of those hours. Yet Dee is rolling her eyes as if the statement is beyond moronic.
I'm wondering if "odd hours" is just code for "at short notice"?
Also, I could see the deferment of Mira with the timing of Mike's meetings as being more evidence of Deanna trying not to let her mum have too much power in her life. Perhaps she feels that if she gives as much as an inch, Mira will attempt to involve herself more and more?
I assume that sort of power struggle must have been going on since Deanna was a teenager at least.
Post a Comment