What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
Monday, November 24, 2008
24 Dec 2009: More of the Well-Meaning Rhino
... a phrase coined by dreadedcandiru2 in the comments, to describe Mira. I think it's in keeping with how she's been portrayed, especially concerning her grandchildren.
So do I. Mike has to get over himself and admit that things must change; his life isn't fine anymore because he can't rely on Elly. She might have other priorities after her issues are resolved and he has to adapt. Mira might indeed be a well-meaning rhino but that doesn't mean she's wrong.
As obnoxious as Mira is, she does make sense, and is the only one making sense here. Dee's on the right track, but all she does is roll her eyes. Mike just wants to hide. Mira's the only one's acknowledging, "Hey--things are going to have to change, or get more difficult. What do you want to do?"
I love April. Actually, I love the whole gentle-but-inevitable process of the Foobs facing reality, but she's my favourite component so far. Keep it up!
I came here via Angry Kem's link, and I'm really loving this! I wish Lynn Johnston had let you take over for her! I spent hours catching up with your strips. They are amazing. You have redeemed all the characters who began to annoy me, even!
I love the "well-meaning rhino" description, too. My mom's one. :-) And April reminds me of my best friend's youngest sister. The older sisters had to confront their parents and remind them that they're not done raising kids just yet.
I've been reading through my RSS reader, so I hadn't noticed until just yesterday that there were comments. I'm glad there are, so I can say thanks for continuing the story, I've really been enjoying this new take on it.
"Why can't things stay the same?" Hah. A moment of sympathy for Mike, there.
@DC2: I don't think Mike ever relied on Elly once he started growing u---scratch that. Lack of sleep apparently temporarily erased my memory of the Housening. And...everything else. Gah.
I am kinda wondering if that's Anthony showing up to try and woo Liz back, though, now. Considering that everyone is currently on Elly-Watch to try and prevent another episode like yesterday, though, I'm betting that if The Boy In Beige does anything that threatens to set her off, he's not only going to get John's disapproval - he's going to lose any respect the rest of the family has for him, too. (Um, assuming they have any, I guess.)
I'm betting that that would lead to the Pattersons as a whole breaking off contact with Anthony, beyond what's necessary - possibly leading to Anthony trying another "cry for help".
I'm convinced Deanna married Mike largely to piss off her mother. Mira's an energetic, well-meaning but controlling woman who always wants the best for her daughter. So her daughter marries a self-involved lump who thinks like a 12-year old. Also, Deanna is like Mira: she can control everything in the household because her husband just wants to play in his attic.
I agree with Echo's characterization of Mira. I'm also reminded of a recent piece of dialogue on Dexter (said to Dexter's sister, Debra): "You've only got one tool in your box, and it's a hammer." She means well, and as Cedar pointed out, she DOES make sense, but she makes so much noise getting her point across that nobody can hear the point, just the noise.
12 comments:
... and before anybody asks why April doesn't just go do it herself, check who is still holding Elly's coffee mug :-)
Gawd, what an effing whiner Mike is. "Why does anything have to change? It's not fairrrrrr and I'm not readyyyyyyyyy!"
I love April's response.
Teresa:
So do I. Mike has to get over himself and admit that things must change; his life isn't fine anymore because he can't rely on Elly. She might have other priorities after her issues are resolved and he has to adapt. Mira might indeed be a well-meaning rhino but that doesn't mean she's wrong.
As obnoxious as Mira is, she does make sense, and is the only one making sense here. Dee's on the right track, but all she does is roll her eyes. Mike just wants to hide. Mira's the only one's acknowledging, "Hey--things are going to have to change, or get more difficult. What do you want to do?"
I love April. Actually, I love the whole gentle-but-inevitable process of the Foobs facing reality, but she's my favourite component so far. Keep it up!
I came here via Angry Kem's link, and I'm really loving this! I wish Lynn Johnston had let you take over for her! I spent hours catching up with your strips. They are amazing. You have redeemed all the characters who began to annoy me, even!
I love the "well-meaning rhino" description, too. My mom's one. :-) And April reminds me of my best friend's youngest sister. The older sisters had to confront their parents and remind them that they're not done raising kids just yet.
I've been reading through my RSS reader, so I hadn't noticed until just yesterday that there were comments. I'm glad there are, so I can say thanks for continuing the story, I've really been enjoying this new take on it.
shorter April: "Lights on in yer head, dumbass..."
Get some, April!!!
Well meaning rhino? Heck, the way Michael is going, he needs to be gored a few times. And I love April's comments: True and yet a dig at the brother.
Speaking of which: Here comes Anthony (I'm guessing); watch out for John to bust out.
"Why can't things stay the same?" Hah. A moment of sympathy for Mike, there.
@DC2: I don't think Mike ever relied on Elly once he started growing u---scratch that. Lack of sleep apparently temporarily erased my memory of the Housening. And...everything else. Gah.
I am kinda wondering if that's Anthony showing up to try and woo Liz back, though, now.
Considering that everyone is currently on Elly-Watch to try and prevent another episode like yesterday, though, I'm betting that if The Boy In Beige does anything that threatens to set her off, he's not only going to get John's disapproval - he's going to lose any respect the rest of the family has for him, too. (Um, assuming they have any, I guess.)
I'm betting that that would lead to the Pattersons as a whole breaking off contact with Anthony, beyond what's necessary - possibly leading to Anthony trying another "cry for help".
I'm convinced Deanna married Mike largely to piss off her mother. Mira's an energetic, well-meaning but controlling woman who always wants the best for her daughter. So her daughter marries a self-involved lump who thinks like a 12-year old. Also, Deanna is like Mira: she can control everything in the household because her husband just wants to play in his attic.
"Why can't things stay the same?" Shut up, Mike.
I agree with Echo's characterization of Mira. I'm also reminded of a recent piece of dialogue on Dexter (said to Dexter's sister, Debra): "You've only got one tool in your box, and it's a hammer." She means well, and as Cedar pointed out, she DOES make sense, but she makes so much noise getting her point across that nobody can hear the point, just the noise.
Post a Comment