Tuesday, November 18, 2008

24 Dec 2009: Wall-of-Text Alert

Tough. I don't know how to soundbite talking with a seven-year-old about something like this. Merrie's outburst wasn't pure brattiness - it was based in perfectly reasonable fears, even though she was quite rude. (Elly didn't touch Merrie and Robin, but I deliberately drew her as making clawing/ grasping/ grabby motions.) Aunt April certainly calmed the kids down from the immediate scare the day before; the adults have been dealing with Elly's breakdown and making plans - but seriously, would you expect this bunch to have found the time to calmly explain everything to the kids? Just because they were enjoying pancakes doesn't mean that Everything Is Fine Now.

(It should be obvious from FOOB past why Wilf Sobinski is a suitable character to try to reason with Merrie.)

Oh, and the characters' relative sizes are probably wildly off, but I liked the expressions too much to try any significant redrawing.

5 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

Yes, Wilf is the ideal person to explain to Meredith why she shouldn't have been so rude. Mira and Liz might get a bit too blunt, John is too close to the situation, her parents don't really know what's going on and April is still smarting from what Mike did.

john said...

Oh man, top-notch job on the expressions today. Keep up the great work!

scarabee said...

I really like the way you're doing this (story arc, etc). Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think you did a lovely job on both the expressions and the dialogue for this incident - Merrie was rude, yes, but her fear needs to be respected.
Such a relief to see characters behaving outside the little stereotype boxes they were in by the end of the real strip!

Anodyne said...

While I see Meredith's behaviour as, to a degree, explainable by the fact that she just got the crap scared out of her by her grandmother - and that this happened yesterday - it is good to see her being sat down and reminded that, yes, it's okay to be scared and unhappy with the fact that Grandma Elly has gone crazy, but that doesn't make it okay to be mean to her because she's crazy.
It gives me hope that Merrie and Robin won't emulate their Foobish parents.