
I'm obviously skipping over parts of this conversation. Considering Liz' exasperation, I'd get bored setting up the argument to go over and over and over until she puts her foot down. And maybe some dialogue is best left to the imagination.
I tried a 4-square layout here. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think I'll be using it much.
9 comments:
"Mike the Novelist" has appeared! :) And Pancakes get a label -- are they to become a recurring theme?
I really do love the way your Liz looks and Merrie is adorable. I'm falling behind at one strip per week -- you'll hit Christmas in real time and I'll get to it sometime next summer at this rate!
Well, at least your Liz is finally telling the right person to FOAD. A bad song on the radio would be a lot more likely to set Elly off than April's piercings but you can't tell Novel Boy that.
I have to agree with forworse: your take on the little Patterfoobs is more loveable than the original versions- maybe because you're not all wrapped up in "Grrrrr...I GOTTA love 'em 'cause their my grandchildren, dammit!!!" like the original FOOBiste?
And, as always, enjoying your take on the story...
forworse well... I figured zucchini bread deserved its own tag (I've gone back and tagged everything starting with this Christmas in Milborough arc), so pancakes gets one.
fdchief aw, thanks. I'm highly influenced by manga, which makes for the big-eyed take on Robin and Merrie. For Merrie, I'm probably also being influenced by following the webcomic Thorn, with little Rosie.
I'm highly influenced by manga, which makes for the big-eyed take on Robin and Merrie.
I was going to say that Robin and Merrie were manga-riffic, but am not sufficiently au fait with the terms to be sure I was paying a compliment (which was what was intended) or inadvertently causing offence!
You draw them "cute", but what I was thinking was more along the lines that you write them as kids like someone who likes or at least enjoys kids would write kids.
Loving, bratty, helpful, impossible, funny, silly little people in their own right...Lynn seems to write "her" Merrie and Robin as merely irritants or accessories for her adults, and she seems to find the kiddish things (like pestering the adults wanting to help make pancakes) irritating.
So it's fun to see these little folks being gently tweaked into people rather than gags or plot devices. And rather a nice reflection on your abilities; it's easy to work kids into a story as a scene stealer or a gimmick. It takes some real skill to draw them as, well, just kids...
Robin does like to cook, according to the last strip
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/003336.php
Well, I didn't deliberately put Robin helping because of that. It's a perfectly reasonable thing for him to like, and I wasn't consciously pulling from the final strip.
Also, I just didn't buy the "strip of destiny". Those who hang out on the Comics Curmudgeon comments threads may recall that I called it something along the lines of "Mary-Sue vomited onto a page" :-)
I'd like to add: I really like the way you draw Liz. Not only does she look prettier than she did in actual FOOB, but she somehow looks less prettier as well, if that makes sense. She looks more naturally beautiful, not posed and perfect and dolled up.
She also resembles Buffy from the BtVS comic books.
Post a Comment