Thursday, August 14, 2008

August 14

12.


Welcome to the Foobiverse folks - wow, thanks for taking a look.

When it comes to Jim, you've had a couple of strokes and been shown to only be able to reliably say "yes" or "no". Moreover, your wife and others talk around you, or interpret without trying any probing "20 questions". Your granddaughter seems to be acting like a nitwit about this wedding and thinks you approve - and that your late wife approves, too, because her dress fits. So how do you make your objections known?

Well, you might try something else, but this was just too good not to do.

I don't think Jim & Iris have necessarily heard about the Howard / Anthony stuff, but just how Anthony acts now ought to be enough to lead to some objections. And I'm being generous by implying that the "happy" couple visited Gramps.

I don't think I'm contradicting anything about Iris' life. She wouldn't have to mention any quiet sadness in her life with George before. And I find it plausible that someone from George's generation, who had probably seen people blown to bits before his eyes in WWII, might not have been good at doing anything else with grief except ignoring it. (It could also go the other way and make a veteran sensitive to the tragedy of life, of course, but not in this story).

Similarly, I don't think I contradicted anything about Dawn - she hasn't been extremely present post-HS, so she could have witnessed things as I put them. The strip has shown some of her being away (online: Ottawa), arty (and maybe in strip: graphic design work - but nothing says she got work right off the bat) and engaged to David. I toyed with Therese coming directly to Liz to warn her, but didn't find that plausible. Therese may have moved, or travel to Ottawa for business (it's an easy day train-trip). I figure Dawn & she like the same Second Cup in Ottawa, probably the one across from the Starbucks in the office building area near Parliament, and ran into each other.

I'm still working on improving the photo upload of my drawings - this time, I improved the lighting. It's a lot closer to uniformly lit, which makes selecting the BW levels easier. I've gotten a lot of good advice about inking cartoons, but the fanfic isn't being done real-time now - I mostly drew it in HB pencils on vacation and am mostly touching things up and de-scrawling my lettering, with only a few drawings or re-drawings now (this one is actually one of those re-drawings). I also have done squat in the way of inking. Ever. So I don't think I'll be bringing any inking to this project, but I really agree I should learn to do so in the future.