Friday, May 15, 2009

So Does Caffeine Make Anything better?

8 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

This, too, could have safely been titled "Baby Steps"; it's clear that Elly isn't willing to let go of her idea of what's right. Ah, well; so long as she doesn't let her vision of the true, good and beautiful frak up her own or other people's lives, it doesn't actually matter what she thinks.

Pharmgirl said...

Wow, you actually made me feel a tiny bit sorry for Elly. Nicely done!

Mieko-Chan said...

Is that a nod to Foobar I spy? Well done!

InsertMonikerHere said...

Yup - A FOOBAR allusion/ shoutout.

Something FOOBAResque is happening in a corner of Elly's brain, and it resides in a (thankfully non-magic) journal. That's pretty scary from a multiverse point of view... or if Elly prematurely stops taking her meds :-)

Scritzy said...

Maybe going against the flow here, but I actually find the two-journal thing to be a bit of an ominous sign.

Having two journals, one "innocent" and one "here's what REALLY happened" is an old teenage trick. You leave the "innocent" diary out so your parents will read it and think you're an okay kid, and you hide the "real" one so they'll never know what's really going on with you.

In Elly's case, I think she'd hide the one where everything goes "right," i.e., her way, so no one will realize she's still half-living in her fantasy world. I don't think she'd leave the other one in an obvious place, either, but she would have to share that one with her therapist.

Just an observation from experience. Not all mine, of course. ;)

April Patterson said...

Yup - A FOOBAR allusion/ shoutout.I feel honored. :)

CrackerLilo said...

Nice connection with FOOBAR and the icky hybrids!

Good to see April trying to help, too. (Not that I think she had to, but it's good to see that she got kindness from someplace.)

Anonymous said...

Scritzy: I actually like the twin journals. Amongst other things, it shows her with an imagination.

Not only that, but she's aware of the separation. If you note, she talks about how things went, and how things would have gone IF. Not "What my readers can handle" and "what REALLY happened."

A step forward, in my mind.