Friday, May 29, 2009

Onward



So I did some skin tones on the drawing, and decided to try some with colour fills. Didn't work out as well as I'd hoped - Adanna and Mavipi are paler than I'd originally thought, because the fills didn't blend so well with the outlines - that texture in Adanna's hair? not there on the drawing, comes from the photo, but I decided to keep it. (I only have pretty basic select/ fill options using GIMP, allowing it to fill too far into "similar colours" can cause it to over-select adjacent areas.)

I may just hint at skin tones in the drawings again.

If you're curious, here's how the drawing came out before I tried the colour fills:

7 comments:

DreadedCandiru2 said...

This is fascinating; Foob itself hasn't made me anticipate anything positive in years. I even look forward a little to seeing Elly's Lynnglish-laden explanation of her real concerns when April comes back.

katho said...

I like how the skin tone is worked in panel 2-however you did that, you should continue!

I am loving you strip so far, by the way...

Anonymous said...

Really nice pencils, regardless of colour. :)

I'm with dc2 - the prospect of a Foob cross-cultural interaction (or interaction with any non-Patterson, really) that doesn't involve a festival of patronising smugness complete with Hallmark-card moral? Bring it on!

Cedar said...

I'm looking forward the seeing FOOBs interact with some non-Wasps, but I have to admit, I'm a little nervous about April will behave. I feel like she's already become a little perfect (not the Pattersaint manner, but n our real world manner)--she the smartest, the most emotionally in-tune, the most open minded of all the Pattersaints--the sort of character we want to celebrate. I'd like to see her struggle a little bit--she has lived an extremely sheltered life (despite running away), and hasn't had a lot of experience with poverty and illness. I'd be disappointed if she just immediately fit into the world of the trip, and became a thoughtful helper who never said the wrong thing.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Well, we'll see how it goes for her, Cedar. First, she has some first impressions to get through.

April Patterson said...

IMH--did you find it took a while to get a handle on GIMP. I tried playing around with it a few times and found it mostly confounding. Is it a bit more forgiving with its flood fills than PaintShop Pro? With that, if I don't meet its exacting yet secret standards of how sealed-off my flood area needs to be, it will flood-fill my entire image. Grrr. Frustrating. In any event, I like the effects you got--especially the hair texture.

And like others, I'm looking forward to seeing April's trip. :)

InsertMonikerHere said...

April_P, I am *still* figuring out GIMP. The "fuzzy select" vs "colour select" and the array of edge radii or what the similar colours delta does can be maddening. However, I use GIMP sometimes to alter figures for homework set prep and whatnot, so it's my go-to program.

But I likely won't do colour fills much for skin tones - the Monday installment has "guy at the ATM"'s skin tone hinted at in the original drawing with grey pencil.