I've been having some trouble with gradients in my photos of the pictures. Then I zap some of it if I have time, but it leaves more "fussy" parts a little grey... and the closest thing I'll get to an "Easter" strip:

What REALLY was going on during the insane wedding-o-rama of 2008 July...
AKA an exercise in salvaging the Foobs (start through August 26)
AKA what happens when real life is allowed to intrude on the Foobs
6 comments:
Is that Anthony's brother? Did we know he has a brother?
We don't know whether Anthony has a brother. Blandthony the blank canvas never had his family shown and there was a toss-off line in jr high or high school about grandparents staying with Anthony's family and they were "on OUR side".
I've decided he has a brother Robert who got married young to someone named Kathleen. This family dynamic might 'fit' some of Anthony's expectations. And if it wasn't established in-strip, I deem it fair game.
I like Robert. It's clear that he sees that his parents are part of Anthony's problem; they didn't cause him to think that Liz was his only shot at happiness but he also seems to know that Anthony twisted himself into a pretzel trying to meet what he thought their expectations of him were. I hope to see more of him in the future. As for the well-meaning rhino, she'll have to rope it in a bit; she risks doing more harm that good if she doesn't.
IMH, your reasoning makes perfect sense. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't forgotten something.
Nope, you didn't miss anything, it's really that vague. FYI - FOOBAR has gone with the probably too-much-younger (for the grandparents' stay) sister Abby from the online bios. Of course, Foob's Paradise's Robert and Anthony may have a sister. Or another brother.
Or maybe Robert has a daughter Abby and the online bios are a mixed-up corner of Broken Elly's confabulated memories :-)
Have I ever told you you're a freakin' genius? :D
"Sibling has his/her perfect life, why can't I have mine?" is definitely something that happens in real life, and it can make a much stronger person than Anthony wonder where and why it all went so wrong.
You've shown us something that makes perfect sense — motivation, as it were, for Anthony not to want to be the "drifter or slacker." The trouble is, he's been so caught up in NOT wanting to be a drifter/slacker that it's exactly what he has become.
Insight! Helping the reader understand! Not making the reader throw up his/her hands and say, "Where the heck did THAT come from?"
Bravo.
Post a Comment