
I have been trying to be consistent: April has a double-piercing on her left ear, and a single one on her right. She sometimes puts one or two little braids on either side.
I also kept Candace's nose piercing on the right side, because that's how I saw it on the picture on the FOOB site. Looking at some back strips, it was often on the left. Oh, well.
14 comments:
One thing that carries over for me from original foob--my desire to punch Mike in the nose! Right, Elly snapped because of April coming home "weird." That's it. ;)
How typical. Insensitive Asswad Mike blames April for this because he's too removed from reality to see what's going on under his oh-so-punchable nose. Unless I miss my guess John was putting a brave face on things but secretly worried about this; Mike is pretty much unable to guess why people do what they do because his head is wedged up his rectum. Hopefully someone (John, Iris or Liz, for instance) sets him straight.
Gouging, not gauging.
Good art (including expressive faces) and thoughtful writing. I check it every day, which I don't do for LJ's strip. So what's a little misspelling between foobs?
Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith E.G. Forbes: Never spoil a good story with too much truth.
Yep. From shock to self-protection to the blame game. The moment of real shock has passed, his defenses come back.
Sad thing is, he saw things going on and chose to ignore it; now that he can't ignore it he lashes out.
dana c.h. a friend of a friend who was stretching her earlobes open called it "gauging" because you increase the 'gauge' of the insert. There may be other terms for it, but I went with that one.
I'm kinda stuck with it as it's on the photo now :-)
jana c.h.,
I used to work in a store that did ear piercings and sold body jewelry. The correct term is, indeed, "gauging."
insertmonikerhere, LOVE your strip!
godozo,
It seems obvious that Mike will be a Big Fat Obstruction due to his irritating need to avoid blame. The question that faces us is if Deanna will enable him this time. If she runs true to form, she'll back her husband's stupid need to blame everyone else but himself to the hilt.
It's been almost forty years since I had my ears pierced, and back then we just called it piercing. The internet is my main source of new terminology and current slang, and I don't keep up very well. I understand perfectly why LJ can't write a convincing teenager.
By the way, I'm still trying to figure out "teh". Is it an intentional typo for "the" that has become slang? Or are there just a lot of sloppy typists on the net? Or maybe both.
Jana C.H.
Seattle
Saith Abraham Lincoln: I don’t think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
Jana C.H., "teh" is often used intentionally--I think it initially arose as a way to mock people who don't bother to proofread, as "teh" is a common typo for "the."
jana c.h. sara will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK a little hole just designed to hold an adornment on is still just called "piercing". Making the hole increasingly bigger until the earlobe is stretched out several cm and you can see through the hole - that's "gauging".
It's been done for beauty (and to display the dowry requirement) with lips in some parts of Africa. I forget where it's done to ears as part of ancient practice. It's definitely new to this part of the world. It's still pretty rare and I don't think many people know about it.
Mike is such a Patterson...
I'm really enjoying your reconstruction of everything!
(also, that is the correct description of gauging)
Insertmonikerhere, you're absolutely right about the gauging. The term comes from the thickness of the earring post--the thicker the post, the smaller the gauge number. Baby earrings are 18-gauge; most earrings sold in stores are 16-gauge. Most body jewelry is 14-gauge. Using anything bigger than 16-gauge earrings in your ears (or 14-gauge anywhere else) is considered "gauging." I saw a guy once in my store who was up to about 2-gauge...you could see daylight through the holes in his ears. =p
CDS
Thanks for the link: I've figured it out so you've been blogrolled back!
FW
It's kinda ironic how John is the more attentive one who is at least willing to help his wife while Mike is the insensitive jerk in the LJ. While in The Foobverse letters it's pretty much the other way around.
Post a Comment