
Not much to say here. I really don't have much time for backgrounds, so they're often barely suggested. The dialogue and previous strip puts this at Mike & Dee's.
Mike's reaction continues in a strip I'll get up tomorrow or Thursday. I *did* mention I'm having waaay too much fun drawing this, right? :-)
10 comments:
Well, he's certainly the same insensitive and unobservant mutton-head who never figured out why Mrs Dingle was always in a bad mood. Am I reading to much into this if I think that his reaction will be "How could this happen to me?" It's not his pattern to care about how Meredith feels or if his mother will be right; all that matters to him is his own convenience. It's why he rescued the laptop and quit Portrait.
I've been eagerly following your work since it was first mentioned on LJ. Great job so far, and I love how you write Merrie. She was one of those from the original strip that I could give or take either way, but she's showing a good deal of being influenced (positively) by April now. The way she stands up for Robin and now telling her father how it really is, if she keeps on this path she has a shot at being somewhat normal.
I want to add my voice to the chorus of thanks for opening up the comments. You're doing a great job of revamping the story in terms of everyone's established characters, while allowing them to act and talk as though they were real people with, you know, feelings and stuff.
Go, Merrie! Go, April! Grrrr, Mike! :)
dread:
I think Mike's honestly shocked by all this. If he's as oblivious to present-day reality as you say he is, he probably thinks Mommy's the same old person she was from before April's broken-off marriage. There's a whole lot of stuff he had missed in his attempts to follow his muse, never mind the wife or kiddies. His shock would be genuine, no matter the reasons behind it.
Tomorrow (or Thursday) we'll see how he handles this bit of news. We'll see how he rationalizes things (or reacts, if things remain real).
Here's a thought: What if his "writing career" was a way to protect himself from his Mother's weirder and weirder demands? Elly's snapping may be the thing that wakes Michael up. (Like I said: a thought. Take it with as much salt as you need.)
As to Merrie: A girl after my own heart. To Hell With Xmas!
Please keep having fun drawing it -- seeing the updates here is much better than reading whatever is being re-run or new-run. You're salvaging characters we used to care about, and making us start to feel concerned for them and interested in their lives again!
Oh, and -- go Merrie!
godozo:
That would make his 'career' his equivalent of John's model train hobby. Seeing how he reacts when he can no longer deny things should be interesting; John looks as if he's stepping up so Mike might as well follow him.
dread:
If Michael's writing is the equivalent of John's trains, Michael has a lot more to lose than John.
There's one big difference. John's hobby is a hobby, Michael is supposed to be earning a living (or aiming at that) with his writing.
John would just have to say "I lost interest, found other things (like women) more interesting." Michael would have to admit that the thing he wants to make a living at was an intentional waste of time; the other stuff around it would cause ripples around his world that would reach to his marriage and his family relations.
Dunno what else to say but...get some, Merrie!!!
You're doing a wonderful job with this strip. Thanks for the fun!
Post a Comment