Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Whole Shebang



Dramatis Personae (some of this would be more obvious if I could work with colour, as some skin tones would indicate Ojibwe heritage, and Dawn's would have a golden hint):

Line 1: Dawn and Liz
Line 2: John (in canoe) with Paul's parents (later seen boogieing on the middle ground of L3P2), Mike (later seen dancing with Dee) with Meredith and Robin (later eating cake), Paul's brother on the shore (later as Paul's best man)
Line 3: add Elly, Melanie, and David (Dawn's never-seen husband, getting marshmallows with her) near April and Jesse playing music
Line 4: add Candace and Rudy, talking to the Cranes as Sophia toddles by. Andrew is in the background near Mel, and Phil and Georgia are talking to someone based off of a background character in a Hawk Creek strip.

There are a few other background forms for other unknown friends / family of Liz and Paul (presumably one is Kyle, Mel's husband).

A few end notes to Foob's Paradise:

  • It's no accident that Mel is attending to a young child. Sometimes your family doesn't come together through biology.

  • I don't intend to say canonically "what happens" in a Strip of Destiny, but what follows is what I think is likely:


Elly remains mostly "better". I don't know how likely it is that she'd be able to leave off meds, and I'm sure she continues to need therapy (perhaps a few extra sessions after April brings Ryan home :)

She does manage to learn not to say things as if she knows the only right way to do everything - regardless of what she thinks.

John can't imagine life without her, although he does like to spend a lot of time with his trains, especially once Robin gets old enough to play with them.

Elly occasionally mixes up things when dreaming about her past, but quickly realizes this when she wakes up. That explains any more continuity bloopers in the new-ruins. Yup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



Liz and Paul have a few kids. Sean is the cutest blond grass-dancer at the yearly pow-wow. (He's also the only blond grass-dancer at the pow-wow, but still.)








Candace and Rudy decide that Sophia completes their family. Liz and Paul's children are like out-of-town cousins to her as she grows up.









And speaking of minor characters, Francoise grows up knowing that both her parents love her. Her dad goes to great effort to try to make himself marketable to move and live near her. By the middle of elementary school, they all live in the same city, making her friend / school life much less complicated.

I expect Therese finds someone to share her life (and Francoise!) with, but she never has any more kids. And that works out just fine.

Anthony is very focused on his daughter and doesn't manage to have any romantic relationships until Francoise is at least off to university. I'm not sure he ever does.



Mike and Dee are OK. With Mike more helpful at home, Dee can relax and appreciate the good she does at her job more. It's still a slog some days (with certain customers), but she's no longer at wit's end.

Some years, Mike's writing jobs are pretty scarce, Dee's job is what keeps the family going, and he jokes that he's becoming a househusband. He writes some of this up as short articles and stories and sells it, though.

Mike never sells another novel.

Stone Season
is made into a Lifetime TV movie. However, they change the setting to post-WWI instead of post-WWII to make the soddy house and lack of child welfare authorities more believable.


Michelle does become a vet. Valerie does go into medical research.










April struggles to get solid work, taking special courses in how to handle baby wildlife and such - she could tell you the "kind of cat food + stuff" recipe to make into a paste for songbird babies, for instance. But she wouldn't because she knows it would bore you. Eventually, she works permanently for the local wildlife rescue center. It is only part-time in the winter, so she gets other jobs, too.

She does eventually marry Ryan, in the revamped torn-up dress Dawn promised.

Nobody has their life all tied up in a pretty bow for them :-)

30 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

Awesome. I hate to see this end, but you ended it brilliantly.

Shelley said...

Amazing. I'm sad to see it go, but pleased to have a satisfying ending. Wonderful job.

Muse of Ire said...

Thanks for all the pleasure you have given me. I will always remember your story as the REAL ending of this once-remarkable strip.

Karyn said...

Thanks so much. This has been a great year, and you ended everything perfectly (or not perfectly, which is the point)

john said...

A very nice wrap-up, tying up the loose ends without being too maudlin about it. I love the older Francoise; she's got that "cute plain girl" look that nobody seems to draw anymore...

DreadedCandiru2 said...

I hate to see this end but it did end on a good note; the Pattersons' lives aren't perfect by any means but they're in a better place than anything Lynn could have come up with. I'd like to thank you for the ride.

Holly said...

That's beautiful. I'm sorry to see it end, but I prefer this so much over the original ending. You made the characters real and their futures believable. And Liz married Paul, which is as it should have been.

I love your sketch of an older Francoise, with a smattering of freckles.

Pharmgirl said...

Very well done! Like the others, I'm sad it's over, but this was an excellent ending. You'll be missed!

InsertMonikerHere said...

Thanks for all the kind words. I really enjoyed what I thought of as undoing the damage to the characters - not making them all go into paths *I'd* choose (my, that would be uniform, bland and boring) but where I could see *them* going. It being FOOB after all, I had to end with a wedding (both the strip and the endnotes :)

john, forworse thanks - I've always been a bit (sometimes more than a bit) anime-inspired, and I think the "cute but not gorgeous" look of Francoise comes from that. Maybe that blouse, too (what the heck do I know about what almost-teens will be wearing in 5-7 years, after all?)

Cedar said...

Thanks so much for your dedication to this project; I have enjoyed reading it, and am sad it won't be updated anymore.

I have to admit, I was sort of rooting for Liz not to get married (at least not yet), and maybe not have kids. It was always disappointing to me the way the real strip presented married-with-kids as the only real option for adulthood, and wanted to see Liz buck that trend. Hopefully, they waited a couple years to have their first child, and during that time Liz got a better understanding of herself, and earned a worldview to pass along to them.

Honestly, the little write-up on John and Elly almost made me tear up. I'd forgotten that they'd loved each other, and I'd forgotten how important they were to each other.

FDChief said...

Thank you. You managed to return some dignity, some humor and some real affection to these characters. I'm with forworse in thinking that you had a real inspiration with Francoise; both parents are there, and you can almost see her personality in the combination.

Well done; very well done.

April Patterson said...

::applause::

This is so much better than the "official" wrap-up of the strip.

mrvy said...

Thanks for the wrap-up and a lovely series! Your creativity is a gift; continue to use it wisely and well!

Timprovphilly said...

You did a wonderful job and I'm going to miss coming here. I think I'm going to miss this comic more than the orginal, you really made it your own!

howard said...

Nice job. So when you are going to start your version of the new-runs?

howard said...

David(Dawn's never-seen husband, getting marshmallows with her)

Actually you can see a picture of David in this strip and in this strip.

InsertMonikerHere said...

Heh. I never caught that, howard. I guess David's been growing his hair out a bit. And I think I'll just settle for "new runs = bad dreams of Elly / sign she needs to check with Dr Walby for a change in medication". Trying to sort those out would make my head explode :-D

cedar, there's only so far I can go. It is FOOB, after all :) But given Sophia's age (2 or 3), Liz is still pretty young - very early thirties - getting married, so it's quite reasonable that they'd wait a few years before they have their kids.

Scritzy said...

You made me cry.

Thank you for all of this. I hope you will keep it available online so we can go back and read it again.

RedShasta said...

Wow... this was just great!

yakima said...

Delurking to say thanks for this story. I really prefer this version of the Pattersons' lives to the official version. If you're ever inclined to write another comic strip, I'd love to see it.

FDChief said...

Had to stop by again to say thanks and congratulations; you've done a wonderful job with FP. I'm with yakima; should you ever decide to do an original webcomic, make sure you get the word out - I would happily pay for the privilege of continuing to read your work.

I also had an enjoyable hour going back through and downloading some of my favorites in case the on-line site ever goes away. So I got to re-read some classic stuff: your whole terrific Christmas story complete with holiday satay; the beautiful little gem of a two-strip arc of Therese' and Francoise together; meeting the Caines (I'd forgotten how terrific your back-construction of them from the Bland One was - still perfect). All the wonderful kid faces you crafted for Merrie. Mira, Dee and the slow cooker, and what has become the byword for a Meal Gone Totally Wrong - "fiesta cream of barbequed chicken".

You have a great talent. Thank you, again.

April Patterson said...

I'll also "third" what yakima and FDChief have written about wanting to see your future comic projects. I hope you'll continue with the comicking and would love to see what you come up with. :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent work. Thank you so much for bringing dignity and grace back to my memories of FBoFW, and for telling a strong, beautifully drawn and written story in your own right.

Unknown said...

Beautiful wedding -- all the more touching because it seemed realistic. You've done great work!

Unknown said...

Awww....that was a great ending. Or not really an ending - I love the way you left the Foobs in a world that's opening up around them.

Thank you again. And again.

I'll accept that you could only go so far with Foob's Paradise, but can we hope you have some other creative ideas waiting for their turn?

Unknown said...

This whole project was totally awesome, and brilliantly done. Thanks so much! :)

Destroyer of Worlds said...

Awww, I'm so sad it's over! I agree with everyone else, you gave us a wonderful story. You made Lynn's characters real again and got us to care for them all again! This is the real ending for "For Better Or For Worse".

I'm so glad Liz grew up and got to marry Paul. I'm glad April got to grow into her own person with real dreams and struggles. The same goes with Mike, his struggles and screw-ups with becoming a better person, husband, and parent was actually funny and believable.

I'm glad Elly got a new haircut! She looks so much nicer with the bun gone. Not to mention, John isn't all TRAAAAAAINS and actually has Elly's back. Elly herself has far more depth now than just being the screaming, arm-flapping dolt with a huge butt and nose.

I can believe Anthony focusing completely on Francoise, being possibly an helicopter parent, but that's for Francoise to deal with in the future. :) Oh yes, I can believe that there is a future for everyone in this strip, that it goes on beyond the peek you've given us, unlike Lynn's obvious wrapping up and freezing of the original strip.

I'll also second and third everyone else by saying that if you ever do another comic, please let me know! I'll read it! :)

Thanks for all your hard work!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this over the last year; you ended it beautifully!

Unknown said...

What a lovely ending! I too am going to take this as my personal canon.

Penny said...

Thanks for sharing your vision of this strip with us. And thanks for giving us your own "strip of destiny" to cap off the experience. Best wishes to you in your future creative endeavors.

WV = quitis. Indeed!